Need help identifying some pearl necklaces with no markings!

I acquired all these in an auction a couple months ago but can't find any information on them anywhere, other than that they appear to all be freshwater baroque pearls. After doing a little research on them, I've become a huge fan of pearls (especially some of these vintage styles), but I'm still not sure exactly what I'm looking at and would really like to know more. Some of the necklaces have other stones, and I'm not sure what they are either, and most should be vintage (at least 30 years old). Any help 1) identifying the necklaces and 2) how much they could be worth would be greatly appreciated!!

Notes:
  • I've done a tooth test (they are all gritty). I've also done a rub test (when rubbed together, they're gritty and a fine powder is produced, but no marks/discolorations are left on the pearls).
  • One of the necklaces is a Miyamoto, but the pearls seem to be damaged and discolored. Maybe from heat or excessive perfume wear?
  • I've included a photo of each necklace as well as each's clasp, and marked the photos with letters so you could tell which clasp goes to which necklace since they seem to have gone out of order upon upload.
Any help is greatly appreciated!!! I can't wait to learn more about these lovelies... Thank you in advance!

Attachments

• photo70719.jpg
    photo70719.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 54
  • photo70720.jpg
    photo70720.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 52
  • photo70721.jpg
    photo70721.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 59
  • photo70722.jpg
    photo70722.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 50
  • photo70724.jpg
    photo70724.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 57
  • photo70723.jpg
    photo70723.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 56
  • photo70725.jpg
    photo70725.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 51
  • photo70726.jpg
    photo70726.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 51
  • photo70729.jpg
    photo70729.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 53
  • photo70728.jpg
    photo70728.jpg
    176.9 KB · Views: 52
  • photo70727.jpg
    photo70727.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 59
  • photo70730.jpg
    photo70730.jpg
    184.4 KB · Views: 49
In general, they look like Rice Krispie freshwater pearls from the 1990s. They were called that because they were shaped like Rice Krispie cereal.

UPDATE: I have several Rice Krispie pearl necklaces that my Mom bought back in the 1990s. I like them and wear them, but they are no longer worth what I think she originally paid for them. (and I don't know what she paid for them) Rice Krispies aren't in fashion right now. I don't care. I wear them anyway. They feel great on.

Last edited:
Really unique, statement necklaces, raiyneofgailin. I don't know enough about pearls to help you identify them, but no matter what they are, you'll have fun wearing them.

I agree that most are certainly freshwater pearls, both the rice crispie shape and the larger circled ones. Their value is in the fun design.
I am not sure what the necklace with all round pearls is. First impression is very loved Akoya with the nacre worn away.

Glad to have you back on the forum @rayneofgailin :) and for sharing these fun designs with us all.
Yes, I fully agree on the identification: these look like freshwater pearls, the "rice krispy" pearls and the oval-circled pearls are clearly FWPs.
Now, the photo that has the smaller "ovalish" pearls with the silver clasp...those actually seemed to be mother of pearl beads to me, can't be sure with just a photo, I mean...but I get that feeling form the photo, just the way these "glow".

What a lovely auction stash you have there.
Yes, some rice crisps and interesting stones, some lapis maybe?
Agree with KarinK's first impression - a well loved and well worn vintage akoya strand.

Thank you all for the info! I definitely know they are all genuine and the types of pearls (other than the Miyamoto necklace - thank you for the tip on Akoyas!). More what I'm asking is - if possible - approximate/guesstimate maximum value of each strand and any clues as to the makers for the ones that aren't signed. Thanks again!

That will be more difficult since the strands are not just made of pearls but other stones, and there are more of the other stones than pearls too.
For the "pure pearl strands" it will be easier but not that much...some of those pearls (rice krispies) are not being produced nor sold (to my knowledge) since decades, and back then they had very low prices...but now due to their "vintage" label they could be priced much higher (like $1 dollar per pearl? 5 cents?). This is a rather tricky situation.

Thank you all for the info! I definitely know they are all genuine and the types of pearls (other than the Miyamoto necklace - thank you for the tip on Akoyas!). More what I'm asking is - if possible - approximate/guesstimate maximum value of each strand and any clues as to the makers for the ones that aren't signed. Thanks again!

I am still of the opinion that their value is in the fun of wearing. Except for the possible Mikimoto that looks like Akoya, the others all seem to be cheap Freshwater pearls. The possible Akoya necklace looks so worn that it also has no value. In general, pearls do not resell well. It is a common misconception that pearls are valuable just from being pearls.

The best check you can do yourself is to look at eBay for listings that looks like yours that actually sold and see what they sold for.

I don't see any indication of the other necklaces being any kind of designer necklaces. Most of them seem to be cheap Chinese products. The one with lots of 'rice crispies' could have had some value when it was first purchased, they were once expensive, but today they are just fun.

I agree with KarinK it's best just to take them on their Fun Value :)

Back