Advice on pearl necklace and earrings

Chartwell

Hello, I have a pearl necklace and earrings set that belonged to my husband's mother. They were purchased new for her in the early 1980's in Southern CA. I've had them for 20 years and I've never worn them- I'm just not much of a jewelry wearer. I would like to sell them, but have no idea what they might be worth in today's market, or how I would go about selling them. Would it be better to approach a local store, or list them online, like on e-bay?

The box says Murata Pearl Co. on it, and the necklace is 23" long. We tried to measure the pearls with calipers and come up with 6.5 mm.

I'm attempting to attach pictures, first try for me, hope it works.

It is not a big deal if they're not worth much, just figured they'd be better of being enjoyed by someone else rather than sitting in my drawer!

Thank you,

Susan

_B195281.jpg
[/IMG]
_B195286.jpg

Last edited:
Freshwater pearls weren't that round in the 80's, much more likely they are akoya pearls, probably not highest quality. Some variation in color and luster are noticeable in the photos. You might be able to get some idea what the purchase price was back then by calling the company directly, as they are still in business. As Wendy suggests, just Google the company.

You probably would get as good a price on ebay as anywhere; give lots of information and quite a few photos.

Thank you for the replies! I did google Murata Pearl Co. and was underwhelmed by the hits, to say the least. I couldn't find any information about their pearls, but I did find phone numbers to a few of their stores, all in CA. I guess I could call one.

I'm not sure how to describe them as requested - I guess I would say that in real life they are all more the creamier color, not as white as the flash made some of them look in the photos. The surface of the pearls does have imperfections here and there, almost like if you applied nail polish and then slightly smudged it when it was almost dry. Not sure if that makes sense!

Susan

Hi Susan,

You would most likely get the most for the set by selling them directly. Doing a search for akoya pearl strands on ebay might give you some to compare. You may be able to get a rough idea of the original purchase price by calling the company and verify that in the 80's they were selling cultured akoya pearls from Japan. Those nacre irregularities are typical of akoya pearls. The strand is a desirable length and it's great that you have the original box. The knots seem tight, so good luck with what you find out! And welcome to Pearl-Guide!

I looked on e-bay and it looks like there are literally hundreds of akoya pearl necklaces about like this selling for less than $10 so I think I'll just see if any family or friends would like to have it to wear! <lol>

Sorry, Susan, for sending you down that road!

Here are a couple of akoya pearl necklaces offered by one of our forum members, they are slightly shorter in length and do not include earrings.

http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-AKOYA-JAPANESE-CULTURED-PEARL-18kt-NECKLACE-/310271900474?pt=US_Fine_Necklaces_Pendants&hash=item483da57b3a

http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-BAROQUE-AKOYA-CULTURED-PEARL-14kt-NECKLACE-/310271490512?pt=US_Fine_Necklaces_Pendants&hash=item483d9f39d0

Indeed, would be a lovely gift for someone! And worth much more than $10!!

Back