Antiquing gods may have been in my favor today! 2 vintage strands came home with me.

AngelinaS

Community member
I took my mom out for lunch and to a couple antique stores for Mother's Day today. One store we went in had 4-5 pearl necklaces locked up in a case at the register so I asked to see them. They were priced between $250-$450 and the guy said they were real and he'd had them all restrung so they were ready to wear out of there. I wish I'd taken a picture because they were pretty, kind of glowy. I can't really afford those prices right now so I said they were beautiful and thanked him for taking the time to she me them. So mom and I wander around, looking at everything. It was a really full place so it took a long time. Finally, in one of the very last booths, in a locked curio cabinet, I saw 2 strands of pearls that looked pretty, kind of like the ones he had up front. I asked the woman running the register to unlock it and looked at the necklaces. The graduated strand had a 10k gold clasp and was $30 and the other one was 14k and was $35! I figured they were almost worth it for the clasps alone so I grabbed both! The bracelet we found at another antique store and is definitely fake and the clasp may even be plastic, but I liked it and grabbed it anyway! I can practice beading with it.

How'd I do? filedata/fetch?filedataid=69951
wAAACH5BAEKAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAICRAEAOw==

filedata/fetch?filedataid=69952

filedata/fetch?filedataid=69953

​​
20210508_184330.jpg
20210508_184340.jpg

Those are incredible finds! I don't think I've ever seen any good quality pearls in an antique store before.

Thank you! I'm so happy with them. I've never looked for pearls at an antique store before but I'll be checking every strand I see from now on! :18:

So pretty. Wonderful find. I have found vintage akoyas both in antique stores and online before. I haven't looked for years now. It's so fun searching for treasures though.

Treasure can be found everywhere and anytime :)
BTW: HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!!!

Charlotta I remembered seeing your vintage clasps in another thread, and you have some beauties! It's definitely fun searching for treasures. I love most things vintage and am really happy to have another type of treasure to hunt!

Thank you, CortezPearls ! Happy Mother's Day back at ya!

AngelinaS , I love those clasps. They are safely tucked away in the safe if I suddenly want to use them. All my akoyas are remade into other projects, mostly tassels and wavestrands.

Back