Can you tell if these are real or not?

AngelinaS

Community member
Hi there!

My grandfather gave me this necklace and bracelet after my grandmother passed away in March. She had some jewelry from Tiffany as well as a pair of Mikimoto pearl and diamond earrings that he also gave me. I think these are real, based on the other jewelry she had, but I'd like to get a second opinion before I spend money for an appraisal for insurance purposes.

To answer the questions from the pinned 'Please Read This First -- If you don't know what kind of pearls you have' post:

1. These feel very slightly gritty, but not as gritty as the mikimoto earrings.

2. No box or tag.

3. The history I know is just what's above. They were my grandmother's.

4. The clasp is marked 14K with a slightly squashed C or flattened L a space or 2 after it. It's not a symbol I recognize at all and is very hard to see. I can only see it under magnification and bright light.

5. They measure around 5mm each. Maybe a hair or two over or under.

Any information or help you can give is much appreciated!

Attachments

• photo69908.jpg
    photo69908.jpg
    868.5 KB · Views: 41
  • photo69909.jpg
    photo69909.jpg
    403.9 KB · Views: 43
  • photo69910.jpg
    photo69910.jpg
    417.3 KB · Views: 43
  • photo69911.jpg
    photo69911.jpg
    397.2 KB · Views: 59
  • photo69912.jpg
    photo69912.jpg
    515.1 KB · Views: 42
  • photo69913.jpg
    photo69913.jpg
    557.4 KB · Views: 45
  • photo69914.jpg
    photo69914.jpg
    253.6 KB · Views: 48
  • photo69915.jpg
    photo69915.jpg
    348.1 KB · Views: 46
  • photo69916.jpg
    photo69916.jpg
    161.4 KB · Views: 44
  • photo69917.jpg
    photo69917.jpg
    624.3 KB · Views: 46
I'm gonna assume these are fake and I won't do any harm taking them apart and restringing them into a longer strand.

Thanks to this forum I'm already obsessing over vintage pearl clasps and real pearls I can't afford. Dang it, y'all!

Hello AngelinaS sorry for not replying earlier.
I think they are imitation/fakes...I just look at them and something tells me they are...but then I look again and I catch myself doubting myself. If I could touch them I would be sure in a second...I've tried looking at the drill holes for obvious markings but the knots are done well and are hiding any details (or not!).
If you can find a UV lamp (to find scorpions at night) you may be able to use it to check for fluorescence...here, let me give you a hint with this video:

If those are Akoya they will light up blue...if fake they will not "glow". Is this easy test something you could do?

CortezPearls no worries at all! After lurking for a full two days on the forum I felt they were fake. They just don't give that "oooooooh preeeeeeeeetty literal heart eyes and goofy smile" reaction I've been having to others' pearls.

Since I don't wear bracelets I'm planning on taking them apart to make a longer necklace so I could try to get photos of the holes for you. UV light test will have to wait, but that info is so interesting! I'm really enjoying learning about pearls!

My pleasure! :)
What you are going to try and see on the drill holes is if they have any kind of "quirky" look: instead of a very straight finish on the hole...you may see it rises up, goes down at an angle or has a "slur" around it.
These are examples:
Collage-Drill-Holes-Faux-Pe.jpg

This will make it easier to detect a fake.

CortezPearls they don't look like those, these are very smooth. I'll take photos in a bit. I wish I had a macro lens for my phone! Initially you said you would catch yourself doubting yourself, is there anything particular that's giving you pause or is it more a gut feeling?

When the photos don't offer me enough clues...I will start having doubts. The pearls seem too perfect and also, somewhat "chalky" (overly white) so if they are low grade Akoya they can easily pass as imitations.

Ah, gotcha. That all makes sense. Hopefully these will help!

20210506_102943.jpg
20210506_112557.jpg
20210506_112628.jpg
20210506_112158.jpg
20210506_112707.jpg
20210506_102943.jpg

My eyesight is admittedly not the best, but I can't see a bead or anything inside the drill holes, even with a little magnification and my phone flashlight, if that info helps any.

Attachments

• 20210506_102943.jpg
    20210506_102943.jpg
    503.6 KB · Views: 54
Oh hey! I just thought to take a photo of them with my grandmother's pearl earrings! The earring backs say mikimoto on them. I also have 2 pearls my friend sent me that she made into earrings after having her mikimoto necklace restrung after she lost weight. It seems like mikimoto fittings get attached to fake pearls all the time so who knows if they're actually mikimoto or if they're real pearls at all, but maybe this'll help!

20210506_113924.jpg

20210506_114623.jpg

20210506_114607.jpg
20210506_114553.jpg

I honestly don't see much of difference between them.

Attachments

• 20210506_114537.jpg
    20210506_114537.jpg
    205.3 KB · Views: 42
Now that I've seen the photos...I really agree with Pearl Dreams : low grade Akoya. Some chalky, but lots of surface imperfections...some still have good luster! I saw a drill hole and a chipped piece of nacre, and I could see the nucleus. So, yes...this would be my impression.

On the other hand...the earrings look beautiful! Very clean and lustrous!

CortezPearls and Pearl Dreams, thank you both for your feedback! I really appreciate your help!

CortezPearls, I don't have pierced ears so I was thinking of having the earrings made into a ring. Is that frowned upon?

CortezPearls and Pearl Dreams, thank you both for your feedback! I really appreciate your help!

CortezPearls, I don't have pierced ears so I was thinking of having the earrings made into a ring. Is that frowned upon?

Absolutely not! Pearls may be repurposed any way you want them :)
They are just happy to be worn, with love and admiration :07:

Absolutely not! Pearls may be repurposed any way you want them :)
They are just happy to be worn, with love and admiration :07:

Usually I have an "it's my thing, I can do what I like with it" type of attitude, but I think the M word scared me a little bit. Now I'll go forth and get something made that I'll love wearing! Thank you! :)

And when you have your "new" or "updated" jewelry...please share it with us :)
Have a great weekend!

And when you have your "new" or "updated" jewelry...please share it with us :)
Have a great weekend!

I definitely will!

By the way, your quote in your signature is really lovely. I shared it with a friend who's struggling with feelings of negative self-worth and she thought it was a beautiful way to look at life. :07:

Thanks Angelina :)
I came up with that one after years of struggles (not done yet!) but every time I was able of "seeing" that it was all part of a larger plan and this gave me great comfort.
Have a great weekend!

Back