Mystery Necklace

ColeJordan

Hi Pearl Guide,

I’m wondering if anyone could shed some light on this pearl necklace?
I don’t know much about identifying pearls however they are gritty and seem to have a 14K clasp, I’m unsure of the stone. They unfortunately need restringing, the necklace seems to have some age to it.
Any ideas and opinions would be appreciated,
thanks in advance!

Attachments

• photo69422.jpg
    photo69422.jpg
    305 KB · Views: 43
  • photo69423.jpg
    photo69423.jpg
    236.1 KB · Views: 40
  • photo69424.jpg
    photo69424.jpg
    323.8 KB · Views: 49
Hello ColeJordan,

Welcome to the forum! Your clasp is gorgeous. The pearls look round and smooth, therefore Akoya is my best guess. Is it possible to get some better pictures? I feel hard to rule out freshwater with enough confidence. I am no expert though. Our expert fellows are on their way to help you. :cool:
wAAACH5BAEKAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAICRAEAOw==

Hello ColeJordan and welcome to our pearl-loving forum!

Like Starry Pearl mentioned...those do like Japanese Akoya pearls...they look like 1950's or even previous years. Have you measured the pearl's size?
The clasp is interesting, but not close enough to see much of the stone's traits. Also, I'm not the best with clasps. But if possible, please send a closeup of the clasp and the pearl size diameter and length of the necklace.
How did you happen upon this necklace? The stories are sometimes helpful.

Looks like akoya pearls to me. Nice clasp. Not sure of the stone. They need a good wash and a restring.

I agree with BWeaves the necklace does require some work to be fit to use. Where do you live? Maybe someone in the forum can suggest a person or company for the restringing? Because of the coin in the photo I am guessing the UK?

Last edited:
No expert but I'd also say vintage akoya that would look great cleaned up and restrung on that lovely clasp - could it be jade?

If you are in the U.K like me,can recommend Gift Pearls in Nairn for restringing I haven’t got shares in them,but wish I had! Check their website for prices and testimonials

Back