Whats the Value of my Brooch

T

The_Fox

I am thinking of having the clasp (pin) taken off the back of my brooch and turning it into a pendant. Before I do this I would like to know roughly the value of this brooch and also will it devalue it by altering my item. I beleive it to be a genuine Mikimoto brooch, it has the K14 and M symbol stamed on the back. I have uploaded a couple of photo's to help in my questions. Appreciate your postings. Thanks, the Fox.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a261/bj_beryl/IMG_1222.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a261/bj_beryl/IMG_1244.jpg

Hi,

Any alteration to a brand-name item will reduce its value to scrap. Given the design of it, why don't you just wear it as a slide. There is no reason why you should have the pinback taken off to wear it as a slide, it even looks like it was designed to be worn either/or.

Zeide

Thanks for your quick response Zeide, If it will devalue you the brooch then I definately will take your advise and not alter it. Its a beautiful item but to wear it as a slide, well it doesn't sit flat and the pin causes it to rock around if you get what I mean. As to the value of it, have you any idea? Cheers Fox
Sorry, I should have put measurements to help. the brooch is 4.5cm accross and 2.7cm from top to bottom, as you can see, the pearls grade down in size, the largest being about 6mm diam. and the smallest, about 4mm. They appear to be very good pearls and are very shiny and smooth, they also appear to pass the tooth test. Hope all this helps. ps.The brooch weighs about 7 grams.

Last edited by a moderator:
Value

Value

Hi,

With brand-name items like that, the cost of materials is rather irrelevant to the market value. It depends more on how many were made, how collectible the design is, and the condition the item is in. I am a natural pearl buff, so I have to leave the valuation issue to the brand-name people.

Zeide

Okay then, Thanks very much for your help Zeide, I purchased the brooch from eBay and I am absolutely delighted with it! Now that I know not to alter it, I was wondering if I should insure it? Do you have any idea where I could find out on the net about it? I live in a remote area and have no access to valuer's etc. We have a jewelers shop but no qualified jeweler for this area concerned. The pearls are truly beautiful and I will not part with them (The brooch) for the world. Cheers The_Fox

Last edited by a moderator:
Back