Are my pearls coated artificially?

T

tyren

Hi there, I recently bought a strand of tahitian pearls online after much research both online and in actual jeweller stores. I chose to buy from a rather reputable online merchant but I have doubts when I received my pearls. The pearls did not feel gritty when I rubbed them gently against each other. Only when I used considerable force was there a slight gritty feel. I thot I knew all about the "gritty feel on tooth" test cos i own akoya pearls and they are definitely gritty when i rub them against each other/ against my teeth.

I was hoping to tap your expertise here to see if anyone can help me. My questions are: (i) is it possible for some genuine, untreated pearls to "fail" the gritty feel test?; (ii) how probable is it that my pearls have been artificially coated and how do i tell for sure? thanks for your help!

Coated tahitians

Coated tahitians

Hi Tyren,

Typically Tahitian pearls are nowadays polished and possibly treated only if going to Japan or China before reaching the consumer market.

Zeide

Last edited by a moderator:
A lack of a gritty feeling is no an absolute test and you describe rubbing them against each other, not your tooth - that is not the tooth test.
Unless you purchased the strand from China it is unlikely that the strand is treated, I feel. I know of several large companies in the US that purchase just like we do, from farmers - the only treatment that the pearls go through is polishing after drilling. This takes about 45 minutes, and we typically only do this with drops and baroques (not rounds) to remove the pearl dust from the crevices - this is done with a vibration polisher.

Thanks a million for your help, Jeremy! I did not buy this particular strand from the websites you mentioned but not from eBay or China either. I'm relieved to hear that the tooth test is not an absolute test.

Jeremy, just to let you know, my friend and I just placed an order each for your tahitian baroque strands on Pearl Paradise. They look fantastic and we can't wait to receive them! I've been really impressed with your very professional advice over this forum and I've been recommending my friends to buy from your website even before I take delivery of my first order. :)

Back