Help me confirm the origin of these pearls

jc12345

Hi,

My mother gave these pearls to my wife when we left to stay in another country. She said I should insure them. Before I do that and go theough the effort to have them appraised for insurance, I would like to confirm the origin. She said she purchased them from a Mikimoto store in Japan in 1970 when she and my father was there.

I dont know if it is the orginal box and I dont have any paperwork. They are gritty to the teeth and 8mm in size.

5B06293B-F29D-418D-8544-0C2830A063F1.jpg

FC7F5524-053E-4353-A030-F6807CE60D0B.jpg

F7EEDA54-6E9A-476F-ACC1-D1B187E705FF.jpg

3B885583-CFEC-48ED-9002-378EDC3A6834.jpg

Hello Jc12345 and welcome to our forum!
It looks like and old box there...but I am not confident of these being Mikimoto Pearls. They do look like Akoya pearls, but Mikimoto matching was (I believe it still is) superior to many other brands and I see a very different sized pearl in between the others in your closeup photo, and that would be unacceptable under a Mikimoto label. Of course: could be that the strand broke and someone fixed it and that particular pearl was not placed in the correct place.
The clasp...doesn't seem Mikimoto either.
I'm hoping more forum members (much more knowledgeable than I am) will be able to help out here...what do you think of this necklace family?

Hello Jc12345 and welcome to our forum!
It looks like and old box there...but I am not confident of these being Mikimoto Pearls. They do look like Akoya pearls, but Mikimoto matching was (I believe it still is) superior to many other brands and I see a very different sized pearl in between the others in your closeup photo, and that would be unacceptable under a Mikimoto label. Of course: could be that the strand broke and someone fixed it and that particular pearl was not placed in the correct place.
The clasp...doesn't seem Mikimoto either.
I'm hoping more forum members (much more knowledgeable than I am) will be able to help out here...what do you think of this necklace family?

Thanks for the warm welcome and your assistance so far with my journey of identifying the pearls.

One more picture if I zoom in on the markings. It looks like it could be “871US” perhaps?

4ACF7422-B5A6-4FF1-B92F-53D546C2A1DD.jpg

I spoke to my mother and here is some more information. She bought the string at the Shima Kanko hotel in Osaka in 1970 during the expo that was held there at the time. There is a Mikimoto shop. She also confirmed that it has been restrung once. My concern would be (1) if the string was sold as a “Mikimoto” but it wasn't or (2) if during the restrung, components were changed, or pearls put back in the wrong order.

Yup! I knew it... a Mikimoto brand Akoya necklace usually has/had excellent matching pearls and great graduation...so, you see the mismatched pearls and you can imagine a "bad job" at restringing.
The clasp is actually very nice and looks quite 1960'-1970's I believe the 871 marking could mean it is not 0.925 sterling silver but 0.871 silver, meaning it has less silver to make it stronger and less prone to scratches and damage.

I'm hoping some of our forum members that are knowledgeable in clasps can join in!

What an attractive mystery pearl necklace jc! Is it possible the back of the clasp is stamped "silver"? This is something we see often. Whatever is stamped there, isn't clear, of course.
The pearls are a lovely size, less graduated than we often see. I would recommend having it restrung again; you see the French wire (gimp) by the clasp is tarnished. The pearls need to be rearranged; measured with a caliper if necessary to put them in their correct, slightly graduated order. Recommend knotting between each pearl to prevent wear; it looks like at this time there are knots only near the clasp. Knots will also add a little length. This is typical of how Akoyas were strung back then. What is the length of the necklace now?
The abstract shell design in the case isn't the Miki logo.
Perhaps Mikimoto brought in non-branded pearls to sell because of the expo and needed additional merchandise on hand. (Like many department stores do when having a big sale!) Unfortunately, there doesn't appear to be any way to authenticate these as Mikimoto pearls. However, your strand is priceless in sentimental value! Pearls have never been more popular than they are right now!

What an attractive mystery pearl necklace jc! Is it possible the back of the clasp is stamped "silver"? This is something we see often. Whatever is stamped there, isn't clear, of course.
The pearls are a lovely size, less graduated than we often see. I would recommend having it restrung again; you see the French wire (gimp) by the clasp is tarnished. The pearls need to be rearranged; measured with a caliper if necessary to put them in their correct, slightly graduated order. Recommend knotting between each pearl to prevent wear; it looks like at this time there are knots only near the clasp. Knots will also add a little length. This is typical of how Akoyas were strung back then. What is the length of the necklace now?
The abstract shell design in the case isn't the Miki logo.
Perhaps Mikimoto brought in non-branded pearls to sell because of the expo and needed additional merchandise on hand. (Like many department stores do when having a big sale!) Unfortunately, there doesn't appear to be any way to authenticate these as Mikimoto pearls. However, your strand is priceless in sentimental value! Pearls have never been more popular than they are right now!

Thank you very much pattye

Thanks Pattye, now that I look at the stamp on the back, if you turn it around it could very much be “silver” and not “871US”.

Knots will also add a little length. This is typical of how Akoyas were strung back then. What is the length of the necklace now?

pattye, the length of the string from the first pearl the last is 15”. Including the clasp components it is 16”.

The clasp says SILVER as others have noted. They look like very nice pearls, but not Mikimoto brand.

The pearls are not worth insuring. Just enjoy wearing them.

Will your wife enjoy wearing the pearls if they are restrung properly? If knotted between each pearl, the length would likely be close to 17 inches. As PD mentioned, it was common back then to identify the metal by stamping "silver." Nowadays manufacturers tend to use 925 for sterling silver.

Please write out the story of the pearls and keep it with them. Pearls are best worn and enjoyed!

Will your wife enjoy wearing the pearls if they are restrung properly? If knotted between each pearl, the length would likely be close to 17 inches. As PD mentioned, it was common back then to identify the metal by stamping "silver." Nowadays manufacturers tend to use 925 for sterling silver.

Please write out the story of the pearls and keep it with them. Pearls are best worn and enjoyed!

Patty to answer your question I have to tell you the rest of the story. A few weeks ago, the day before we left for the new country, the moving company came collect our house content. They sent 6 people who walked together through the house to confirm everything that needs to be moved and obviously scouting in the process. Afterwards they scattered in 6 directions while distracting us as much as possible. It was impossible to be everywhere at once. My wife’s jewelery was neatly packed in a small container to take with us personally. We forgot to put it in the safe and it was in a drawer. They stole it and it was not insured.

My mother then gave her pearls to my wife the next day. It came with so much love and emotion and is currently the only jewelery my wife has. She loves the pearls and dearly wants to wear them. I will follow your advice to have it re-strung properly and knotted so that it fits her more comfortably. I will insure it even if it is a low amount so that we do not make the same mistake. Over here just 2 pearl earrings cost a lot if you can find them as 99% of stores only stock fresh water pearls due to it being very scarce. To own real pearls is an achievement on its own no matter the origin or brand.

It is however disappointing that she asked for Mikimoto pearls at the time in the heart of where it all happens and thought that was what she bought but was sold something else.

Last edited:
My goodness jc12345, what a terrible thing that has happened! But what shines through in your story is how you want your wife to be able to wear these pearls with love. I am sure they will be completely transformed once restrung and she will wear them always. A beautiful gift from your mother! Would be great to see a photo once they have been restrung!

jc12345, you are most welcome here, as are all pearl lovers. I think you will be very pleasantly surprised at how beautiful these pearls will be when restrung properly and put back together as intended. Some of the photos show a bright sharp luster, and I suspect they will be beautiful! Be careful to choose a safe and reputable stringer. You might like to read the threads here on Pearl Guide that can teach you how to knot and restring your own strand. It's inexpensive, and pretty easy; many here do it! Even if you choose a professional stringer in your area, those posts will help you to understand how it is properly done so you can select a good stringer. I'm so sorry that sad story happened; you and your wife must have been heartbroken. But the real treasure here, in these pearls, is the the love they carry from your mother to you and to your wife. What a lovely gift she has given you; pearls always bring love together. Good luck to you and your family; do come back and show us how your necklace comes out if you can :)

Oh my, jc, what a horrible experience you and your wife have been through. I can understand why your Mother's pearls mean so very much and how important it is to put this beautiful necklace together correctly. How doubly disappointing to be told the signs don't indicate the pearls are Mikimoto; I'm so sorry. If your wife likes doing handwork and crafts, she might enjoy learning to string, as has been previously mentioned. We wish you and your family the very best and hope to hear from you again.

Back