In search of info on pearl necklace plz

Faith

Picked this up at small town 2nd hand store a week ago, clasp says 14KG, I've gently cleaned them, they were very grubby, and yellowed, passed the tooth test, heavy and colder than any faux pearls l have, but not sure what kind, or quality. They were hanging up with a big display of vintage jewelry of all sorts, but I'm always straight to the Pearl's, lol! Seems some damage to one by clasp, and possibly some glue residue on several others as well. Will try to upload photos now, tia for any information! 16127326117752765551362239156312.jpg

Good morning Faith, and welcome to our Pearl Loving Forum!
With just that photo I believe you have an Akoya Pearl Necklace.
What sizes are the pearls? If you measure the central pearl (usually the biggest one at the central part of the necklace) we can have good information.

I'll try to measure them, but all I have is a standard metal tape measure, but I'm posting more pictures of them now20210207_125721.jpg

I'm totally unsure of what I've actually posted, but after my attempts to measure, and using online tips, I think they are about9.5 to 10 MMS, they are pretty uniform in size, the picture made them look graduated, but they're not, and there are 36 on the strand. Clasp is wrapped in a fine wire of some sort, will be providing more pic when I see what you've recieved, thanks so much for the time and knowledge that you are sharing, it's so appreciated!

Welcome Faith. Pearls certainly do draw our attention. I see a spot on one pearl where the outer layer seems to have peeled away. Do you see this on others as well?

Only one that is peeling is the one near the clasp, which I am partly responsible for, having too much enthusiasm trying to remove glue residue from where the knots were glued, but otherwise they are ok, a few pits in the nacre, but most are not breaking the surface of the pearl, if that makes any sense? I keep trying to post multiple pics, but I am only getting one at a time, then waiting for admin to ok post first, so it feels like I'm slow to respond, I'll be posting more as I am allowed to, any input greatly appreciated!

Hi Faith, look at the third pearl from the center (on the R side in the photo). It appears to be peeling by the drill hole. This might be artifact on the photo, or it could be a clue.

Here's a picture of the pearl, the drill hole looks ok, think it was some foreign material, but there is a patch on the surface that is lighter than the rest, and on the one next to it, to a lesser degree. There's a few Pearl's with glue residue on the drill hole, but I'm not going to try to remove it, afraid of damaging it. Am putting a dime in pic for scale, as I have been having a hard time measuring them, my arthritis has my hands pretty stiff and uncooperative 1612999640047614301227938395011.jpg

Good photos Faith!
I'm still thinking these are Akoya cultured pearls, I believe I can actually see some "blinking" on some pearls. It will need to be restrung, for sure.
That "surface defect" looks odd to me...could be some glue residue, but if not...it gives me a "fake pearl" look, but still hard to tell without handling the necklace.
Hoping some of my fellow forum members will be able to share their thoughts here.

I agree completely with the assessment of the surface damage, it does seem like a potential fake, except that it's still pearlescent! If I shine a flashlight through them would that tell me anything, and if so, what would I look for? Also, what exactly is blinking? And is it bad? Sorry so many questions, one minute I think they're Pearl's, then I feel unsure again! I do not think they're of top quality, but they seem on the large side of the Akoya size spectrum, perhaps this adds something to the value? Thank you for listening, and a huge thanks for your help and time! I have some other cultured pearl necklaces I've found in second hand stores over the years, I'll have to put up a photo of them when I get done with these. They are irregular for the most part, but very pearly, nice deep shine!

Yes, if you shine a light through the pearls you might be able to see the banding on the beads (look for stripes) or even some protein deposits that tell you if it is a cultured pearl.
The trick I like the best is to use a UV lamp (long-wave). You get your pearls in a dark box (even a bag will work) and just shine the light. Real pearls will fluoresce, whereas fakes are inert. Different pearls display different fluorescence.
Whites glow blue (sometimes greenish).
Cortez glow pink-red.
Black Tahitians do not glow, but light colored ones may glow-blue.
Imitations and Dyed do not glow.
Check this video I made years ago and you will get a better idea on how to use this lamp.
I got mine from a hardware store for $7 bucks some 15 years ago.

Great tip, Douglas!

Have you tried to rub two of the suspect pearls gently against each other? Fakes will be smooth and real pearls slightly gritty. If you have a loop, the surface of the fake pearls will look 'shiny' and the real pearls will look porous.

If you are able to take close-ups of the holes of the large pearls, people here should also be able to give a better opinion.

Faith, thank you for sharing so many photos. I'm not sure what you have here. To me, the color looks more creamy like freshwater pearls. Where I'd like you to examine your necklace very closely is at the drill holes. Look at the holes where the thread is stretch a little and you can bend the strand over your finger to get a close look. Do you see a crisp edge around the drill hole? Peeling? A build up of the pearly coating?

I'm having problems uploading a photo for some reason.IMG_2574.jpg

Last edited:
Great photo Pattye: you can see the distinctiveness of the drill holes PERFECTLY.

Back