Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lady_Disdain
    replied
    And indeed you should love them! They are gorgeous and will give you a lifetime of joy.

Leave a comment:

• barbaradilek
    replied
    Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	396132 three cheers for the experts,yes there is a basic uniformity to the pearls,though some look darker than others.My computer skills are rubbish,I think Iv down loaded a couple of images that prove your comments.I still love the pearls though!

Leave a comment:

• CortezPearls
    replied
    Originally posted by Lagoon Island Pearls View Post
    Though the format is okay, the method is inadequate. 90kv 3ma, seems a little intense and might explain over-exposed views.

I gather they wanted to see the core, only to find no discernible nuclei. That strongly suggests uniformity from shell beads.

Had they varied intensity, structural transitions and growth fronts would likely be more apparent at the outer margins.

Setting this strand aside for a moment, let's ask ourselves an important question. When is the last time anyone saw a perfectly matched natural akoya strand in the last century? They don't exist and if they do, they'd almost certainly have overwhelming provenance and substantial scientific overview. Hatchery and reared oysters produce keshi and/or incidental or otherwise inadvertent pearls. These are cultural events. So again, the chances of matching a strand to this presentation are infinitesimal.

For those reasons and others stated earlier, I'm certain these are not natural pearls.

The ring. Albeit within a lot of attractive pearls, by virtue if this certificate it's origin is questionable.
    You got that right Dave & Lady Disdain.
    Great tips from Pairfaitluminiere and Pattye.

When we all come together to solve an Enigma...we become a Force to be reckoned with

Leave a comment:

• parfaitelumiere
    replied
    Originally posted by Pearl Dreams View Post
    Wow, great idea using the silicone.
    I can get a mold made to my need and cast some myself deom black silicone and offer for sale to cover the mold cost.
    If someone is interested, please PM, if several are interested I can definitely make some for members here.

Leave a comment:

• barbaradilek
    replied
    Thankyou so much for all the intelligent input.The saying” if it’s to good to be true,it probably is!” comes to mind.I bought them for what I would have paid for a top quality cultured akoya strand,and am sure that the seller sold in good faith.I will try candling and see if I can post some images.

Leave a comment:

• Lagoon Island Pearls
    replied
    Originally posted by Lady_Disdain View Post
    Without a jewelry expert, I am not confident in their ability to tell natural from cultured pearls.
    Though the format is okay, the method is inadequate. 90kv 3ma, seems a little intense and might explain over-exposed views.

I gather they wanted to see the core, only to find no discernible nuclei. That strongly suggests uniformity from shell beads.

Had they varied intensity, structural transitions and growth fronts would likely be more apparent at the outer margins.

Setting this strand aside for a moment, let's ask ourselves an important question. When is the last time anyone saw a perfectly matched natural akoya strand in the last century? They don't exist and if they do, they'd almost certainly have overwhelming provenance and substantial scientific overview. Hatchery and reared oysters produce keshi and/or incidental or otherwise inadvertent pearls. These are cultural events. So again, the chances of matching a strand to this presentation are infinitesimal.

For those reasons and others stated earlier, I'm certain these are not natural pearls.

The ring. Albeit within a lot of attractive pearls, by virtue if this certificate it's origin is questionable.

Leave a comment:

• pattye
    replied
    Gorgeous pearls; so interesting and mysterious! If the necklace needed restringing, which I can see it doesn't, I'd recommend removing a few pearls and looking down their drill holes with a loupe to see if a line between nacre and bead is visible.

Leave a comment:

• Lady_Disdain
    replied
    I did a quick google search on Istituto Masini and I am more confused than I was before. While their web domain is available for sale, I found their profile on EuropeanBusiness.com. According to that, they are specialized in product functionality and safety. They mention food, toys, healthcare and other sectors but not jewelry. Without a jewelry expert, I am not confident in their ability to tell natural from cultured pearls.

https://www.european-business.com/is...i-m-masini-srl

Leave a comment:

• Pearl Dreams
    replied
    Wow, great idea using the silicone.

I suppose one could use Sculpey or another brand of polymer clay for the same purpose.

Leave a comment:

• parfaitelumiere
    replied
    Here is my display, I made custom silicone shapes, to avoid the strong light in the eyes, so light goes inside the pearl only.

Name:	IMG_6845.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	396117

Leave a comment:

• Pearl Dreams
    replied
    Some people candle by placing a pearl over the light of their smartphone (I still have a flip phone so don't have experience with this!)

Leave a comment:

• CortezPearls
    replied
    Great suggestion parfaitluminiere! Candling
    Try using a strong LED light to see through the pearls @barbaradilek.

Leave a comment:

• parfaitelumiere
    replied
    Originally posted by Pearl Dreams View Post
    "Nessuna presenza di nuclei all'interno della perla" which means "No presence of nuclei inside the pearl."
    My mistake! if so, very good pearls!
    What is strange is there is noecklace description, how many pearls, weight, lenght, diameter, doesn't look like a GIA or LFG certificate.
    LFG, you have photo of item, specifications, lenght, weight, diameter (from-to when size variation), and cultured pearls have a hand drawn dot,to pint them, when there are cultured pearls of course.
    Candling can already be a good quick starting point, agreed, some lines from nucleus would be easy to see.
    Last edited by parfaitelumiere; 02-04-2021, 07:46 PM.

Leave a comment:

• CortezPearls
    replied
    Originally posted by Lagoon Island Pearls View Post
    Agreed.

A natural pearl strand created from near perfect matches on four points (size, color, shape, surface) is a statistical improbability.

So astronomical in fact, it would have to be graded from a pool of millions of natural pearls.

I'd suggest saving $$ and have these candled for uniformity. Uniform = cultured. Radically not uniform = natural.
    I agree too. Great way to explain it Dave.

Leave a comment:

• CortezPearls
    replied
    It's a beautiful necklace. To me it screams "cultured Akoya pearls"...but it could be natural pearls too, so...your best bet is to send it off to a Gem Lab and have it analyzed.
    Now...if you have a good dentist with good equipment, he can use his Xray machine to inspect some (at least some 6 pearls) for a bead inside. A friend of mine routinely does this when in need.
    Look at the results:

Name:	Perla de Ostra (2).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	12.4 KB
ID:	396116
    This is a natural pearl, no bead...yet with a protein void in it.
    Could not find one with a bead, sorry about that...in his case they were ALL natural pearls. But it would be very, very noticeable to find a bead.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X