Can anyone identify the pearls by this clasp?

tamanthasue

4DA9364D-2C55-4680-BF52-63F5E7F0FA92.jpg
46F34CEA-0D5F-4992-A83A-A0975684C914.jpg
I have done several image searches and am unable to find this particular clasp. Can anyone tell me anything about my pearls by this clasp?

Quoting from Clasps: 4000 Years of Fasteners in Jewellery, by Anna Tabakhova [who is a member of Pearl-Guide, username CLICLASP], p. 259:

DOUBLE SLIDING BALL CLASP

Designations:
Double sliding ball clasp, two sided ball and slide clasp or double ball slide clasp.

Description:
One end of the necklace ends with a ball (or any other shape), which slides into the groove of a decorated fitted box until the stop where the necklace is suspended. When the clasp is equipped with this device on both ends it thus becomes removable.

Dating:
Mid-20th century, American patented 14K gold clasp.
(cf. Linda Ladurner, page 150— cf. Clair Wolfstirn, page 196).

This tells us nothing about your pearls other than dating when they were likely strung, but that is one cool clasp!

Edit:
The OP and I PMed about her pearls. They are a mid-century 3.5 momme strand.

Welcome to the forum TamanthaSue! You got your 1st answer already :D
Why don´t you share with us photos of the pearls too???

Screen Shot 2021-01-26 at 7.33.43 PM.jpg
106 pearls graduating in size from approximately 2.5mm beside the clasp, to 3.92mm midway between the clasp and the center pearl, and 6.52mm for that largest central pearl. The strand weighs approximately 9.33 grams.

Thank you ThamantaSue :)
Nice strand...what I find really odd is the weight...very light! But then, the pearls are also small.
My first thought would be natural pearls, but maybe both natural and cultured.
But the shot is from so far away you can really distinguish anything of the pearls themselves.

We'd love a closer look at your pearls! It's certainly a lovely and interesting necklace. If possible, please take several photos close up, with the white backround. This way we can better see the shape and luster of the pearls. Only a lab like GIA can verify if pearls are natural or cultured.

What an amazing clasp, have never seen one like that before. Would something like this still be in production? I know a lot of older clients who would love the ease of fastening a clasp like that.

Good morning...and good photos tamanthasue! Very pro!

Back