any thoughts?

NjClem0305

sorry the photos aren't the best, my sister just got these. I suspect the longer strand to the left is imitation but i'm most interested in the graduated strand. I am thinking akoya. what do you think? pearl2.jpgpearl3.jpg

Sorry, we really do need better photos. Larger, closer-up would help. Use a white background again and strive for the best focus you can get.
Please take a close up photo of any blemishes you see.

But you can also do some tests of your own.

1. Try the "tooth test": Rub one of the pearls in each strand gently against the edge of your front tooth, or else rub one pearl in each strand gently against another pearl in the same strand. Real nacre feels a bit gritty, while imitation pearls glide smoothly.

2. If you have a 10x loupe (jeweler's loupe, 10x magnifier) you can look at the surface of the pearls. Under 10x magnification, genuine pearls look very smooth while imitation pearl coating is a bit more coarse looking.
It's the opposite of the tooth test; real pearls look smooth but feel gritty; fake pearls look somewhat coarse but feel smooth.

If you are still in doubt you can compare what you see with a pearl that is known to be real, or known to be fake.

3. Round imitation pearl strands tend to be quite uniform in color, size, shape, and luster. There are also imitation graduated strands, however.

4. Look at the area near the drill holes.
• Lower quality imitation pearls may have swirls of excess pearl coating near some of the drill holes. However, better fakes won't have this.
• Cheaper imitation pearls may have beveled drill holes, or larger drill holes (and thus larger knots) than genuine pearls. (Real pearls are sold based on weight so the drill holes are small, to preserve weight.) Again, better fakes won't have this.
• See if there is any flaking of the coating. Imitation pearl coating is thinner than real nacre.

I-m sorry, but I always cringe at the tooth test...I do prefer the UV test above all tests (except for black pearls) to check for authentic pearls. You can buy one of these lamps for cheap at a hardware store under the name of "black light" or even "scorpion light" (best to use a long-wave ultraviolet light). Then it's just a matter of going to a dark room, placing the pearls on a dark cloth (non reflective) and Shine on you Crazy Pearl! ;)
You can watch this video for more details on the UV Test...

And all recommendations given by Pearl Dreams are easy to perform, sound and accurate...but I have this thing with the tooth test...call it an emotional scar...I may retell the story someday, when I have regained full composure. ;)

I actually prefer rubbing the pearls together rather than rubbing against my tooth. Seems more sanitary.

As for the UV light, that identifies Sea of Cortez pearls, which appear red under the black light, but my UV light doesn't show any real difference between my akoyas, my white FWP, and my Majorica imitation pearls.

I actually prefer rubbing the pearls together rather than rubbing against my tooth. Seems more sanitary.

As for the UV light, that identifies Sea of Cortez pearls, which appear red under the black light, but my UV light doesn't show any real difference between my akoyas, my white FWP, and my Majorica imitation pearls.

Yes, SANITARY is a great concern these days indeed.

Really? Can't see any difference? Maybe you have the short-wave light! You may not see any difference between the white pearl group (Akoya, SSP & FWP are mostly identical, Cortez are pink-red) but imitation pearls never fluoresce...I've used it with countless imitations and they are always and invariably INERT (no "glow").

I have 2 UV lights, both long wave. It is not that they are fluorescing-- being shiny, they are reflecting back the color of the light. Photos later.

Try placing the pearls inside a black bag and shine the light on them...it will be very obvious if they "glow".

Back