Are these pearls real or fake?

barb6702

Got these pearls and 2 other pearl necklaces from an estate sale. Are they real or just costume jewelry?

Attachments

• pearl.jpg
    pearl.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 26
  • p2.jpg
    p2.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 27
  • p3.jpg
    p3.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 27
  • p4.jpg
    p4.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 27
  • p5.jpg
    p5.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 27
  • p6.jpg
    p6.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 25
  • p7.jpg
    p7.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 25
  • p9.jpg
    p9.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 28
  • p10.jpg
    p10.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 28
  • p11.jpg
    p11.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 26
  • p8.jpg
    p8.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 23
  • p12.jpg
    p12.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 27
Welcome, Barb,

Looks like the shape of the pearls is slightly off round and vary a little from one pearl to another, and with the color I'm thinking you have cultured freshwater pearls. When you rub one pearl gently against another, do they feel slightly gritty?

Do you see any markings on the clasp or earrings? Possibly they're plated.

I will only add that I own some imitation pearls that are not all completely round.

To be honest they look like imitations to me. The clasp is the sort I've seen on many fake strands and the knots are so grimy that the necklace looks like it's been around a while, maybe longer than there have been FW pearls that round.

Do as Pattye has suggested-- rub 2 of the pearls together gently or rub one pearl against the edge of your front tooth-- but wipe them first with a damp cloth to remove any film of grime that might interfere with the test. Real pearls feel a bit gritty, fake pearls feel smooth, when rubbed this way.

Last edited:
Or any excess pearly coating material near the drill holes, which would also indicate imitations.

The stones in the clasp and earrings look like rhinestones.

Here are my vintage imitations-- many of the pearls are off-round, presumably to make them seem real.

The clasp is a box clasp with a wide tongue. It has "Japan" stamped on it.

attachment.php
attachment.php

Back