ID help requested please!

massrog

This strand is my latest purchase. I'm hoping that they will clean up and then we'll re-string them. Any help with the origin of these would be greatly appreciated!!

Attachments

• DSCN6220 (1).jpg
    DSCN6220 (1).jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 37
  • DSCN6222.jpg
    DSCN6222.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 44
  • DSCN6229 (1).jpg
    DSCN6229 (1).jpg
    33 KB · Views: 36
  • DSCN6221.jpg
    DSCN6221.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 39
How about the re-string? Should we do it first and should we keep the configuration the same (safety chain)? Also should we use real silk or a synthetic on these?

No need to restring before having them checked by GIA.

As far as restringing, if they are just for your collection and you are aiming to keep them as authentic to the period as possible, then silk would make sense. Silk is more difficult to string with than synthetic thread-- if you get a knot in the wrong place you can't unpick it-- so I'd probably send it to professional restringers rather than learning how to string your first necklace with this piece.

However, if the piece is to be worn, or if it's not important to you that the thread be silk, I'd go with polyester threads Serafil or Beaders Secret, as even the fine thickness of this thread is quite strong, and it will not stretch or need to be restrung for a longer time than if you use silk.

Last edited:
We will want to keep it period correct, by the way they were billed as "Deco" would you agree? I have never seen a safety chain on a strand before would it be correct to put it back?

I'd put the safety chain back, sure. It's extra security.

I could see it being Art Deco, too.

Wow! Could you tell us some about the clasp, like what the metal and stones are? Really lovely...

Wow! Could you tell us some about the clasp, like what the metal and stones are? Really lovely...

Thanks! We just purchased it at auction and it hasn't arrived yet (can't wait). The clasp is 22mm x 6mm Platinum and Diamonds.

My first thought was early akoyas due to the way they are worn at the back.

I see what Marianne is saying. If they are akoyas, the barrel shaped pearls at the back could due to the nacre having worn away to the point that the bead nucleus is exposed. If that is the case, then I would not consider those pearls to be wearable any more.

On the other hand, could they be natural pearls in which the surface was worn away until a fibrous center was exposed? In Hubert Bari's book there are photos of many natural pearls cut in half to show the cross section. It surprised me to see that many natural pearls are not all iridescent nacre, but rather a relatively thin layer of nacre with a fibrous center.

Have you tried candling the pearls? Place them over a bright light, such as the light of an iPhone, to see if you can discern a nucleus.

I see what Marianne is saying. If they are akoyas, the barrel shaped pearls at the back could due to the nacre having worn away to the point that the bead nucleus is exposed. If that is the case, then I would not consider those pearls to be wearable any more.

On the other hand, could they be natural pearls in which the surface was worn away until a fibrous center was exposed? In Hubert Bari's book there are photos of many natural pearls cut in half to show the cross section. It surprised me to see that many natural pearls are not all iridescent nacre, but rather a relatively thin layer of nacre with a fibrous center.

Have you tried candling the pearls? Place them over a bright light, such as the light of an iPhone, to see if you can discern a nucleus.

That will be my first chore after we get them.

Are these natural as advertised and are the similar in appearance to ours?

Attachments

• mail.jpg
    mail.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 36
Same reply-- they could be naturals.

When your pearls arrive, post lots of photos, but remember, at the end of the day you'll need a qualified lab, like GIA, to give you a definitive answer.

Well I expected them to be dirty but.... WOWWWWW

Attachments

• IMG_2761.jpg
    IMG_2761.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_2762.jpg
    IMG_2762.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_2763.jpg
    IMG_2763.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_2764.jpg