Are 'Sea Magic by Mikimoto' Seawater or Freshwater?

MarkKendall

Hi experts - I'm a newbie interested in pearls and could use your help! I've got a 24" matinee, 6-6.4mm Sea Magic Cultured Pearls. From the little info I can find online about Sea Magic, it looks like some strands were made with saltwater pearls and some were made with freshwater pearls. Is there any way of knowing what I have? Any info you can provide me with would be greatly appreciated! There's very little info out there. -Mark

Are they 100% round? Not off-round at all? If so they are probably akoyas. Most freshwater strands are not 100% round because the pearls don't have a bead inside.

Funny enough, I had a chat with KatBran about this the other day - I was positive that these "Distributed by" lines were still all Akoya saltwater pearls, but then like you when I looked some things up I saw references to freshwater pearls.

From a quick search, it seems that they come in both.

There are a few quick ways to tell:

Are any of the pearls in your strand noticeably off-round or egg shaped? This is a big indicator of freshwater pearls. Entirely perfectly round pearls are a better indication of Akoya saltwater pearls.

Also, look at the luster, especially if you have any other pearls available to compare with - if it is a sharper, more defined luster, leans to Akoya pearls, whereas a softer not as metallic appearing luster would lean to freshwater.

Find a white surface and take some photos, and post pictures here, and we can help you out!

Andrew, thank you very much for your comment! Your two tips help me a lot. These pearls are all perfectly round. I'm trying to learn about pearls as quickly as possible, but not smart enough to know good luster from great luster.
IMG_5800.jpg
IMG_5801.jpg

They look like akoyas to me.

There are lower luster and higher luster akoyas and there are lower luster and higher luster freshwaters. I don't think the luster of your stand is definitive, but the shape is.

They look like akoyas to me.

There are lower luster and higher luster akoyas and there are lower luster and higher luster freshwaters. I don't think the luster of your stand is definitive, but the shape is.

Thank you for your help! Much appreciated. How do you get a good understanding and feel for luster? I assume it comes with the experience of handling many different strands of pearls? Thank you again.

A pearl with higher luster will show sharper reflections. Under a single light source you will see a higher degree of contrast between the dark circle in the center and the white periphery of the pearl.

Look at these akoya photos if you want to be blown away: The Most Incredible Akoya Pearls I Have Ever Seen

Needless to say, they are gem quality, and you will not see akoyas like that just anywhere. I had a friend who had gem akoyas given to her by her husband-to-be for their wedding.. They were only 4mm but wow did they catch the eye!

Last edited:
A pearl with higher luster will show sharper reflections. Under a single light source you will see a higher degree of contrast between the dark circle in the center and the white periphery of the pearl.

Look at these akoya photos if you want to be blown away: The Most Incredible Akoya Pearls I Have Ever Seen

Needless to say, they are gem quality, and you will not see akoyas like that just anywhere. I had a friend who had gem akoyas given to her by her husband-to-be for their wedding.. They were only 4mm but wow did they catch the eye!

Wow. The pictures definitely demonstrate what you're saying. I love learning about pearls and you've taught me something new! Thank you!

Back