Pearl Finds and Confusion

Beans

Greetings! I've been making myself a little crazy trying to figure out how to tell dyed freshwater pearls. I have a pretty good idea regarding peacock pearls (sorry if my terminology is incorrect) but I'm not sure about this button pearl necklace with purple/mauve (potato?) pearls. And I also wonder if the clasps, being gold or silver, reflect the value of the piece.

I would love and appreciate knowing anything about this cute thing. The clasp is 14kt gold and I'm showing it taken alone (using the flash) and also with a peacock pearl necklace that has a sterling clasp (which I'm sure are dyed).

Attachments

• Button Baroque Pearl Necklace.jpg
    Button Baroque Pearl Necklace.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 33
  • Button Baroque Pearl Necklace2.jpg
    Button Baroque Pearl Necklace2.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 39
Hello Beans, all pearls in your photos are color-treated. The metal karat of clasps usually shouldn't be used in identifying the value of pearls unless it's an antique piece. For example, in Japan many high-end pearls are mounted with sterling silver clasps, while in some countries clients would insist on gold clasps with their strands. Hope your wave of pearl interest builds up!

The clasps may be marked 14K and just be plated brass. Beware! See this article.

Unfortunately, true. China counterfeit everything, including gold stamps. Such pieces have never been to a laboratory and have been domestically marked with a hammer-on stamp. Luckily it rarely happens in countries other than China :) but still contributes to the feeling "is there anything in this world I can still solidly trust??".. :mad::mad:

Unfortunately, true. China counterfeit everything, including gold stamps. Such pieces have never been to a laboratory and have been domestically marked with a hammer-on stamp. Luckily it rarely happens in countries other than China :) but still contributes to the feeling "is there anything in this world I can still solidly trust??".. :mad::mad:

I have some jewelry stamped .925 that can fool the eye but under a 10x loupe, there are tell-tale signs that something's amiss. I did test the gold clasp and it tested positive for 14kt gold.

China made knock-offs are plentiful in the thrift shop where I get many of my best finds. :mad:

Back