More Pearl Finds!

Kimberly22

My latest thrift buys. Are they akoyas and fresh water? I love the pink and gray strands and the chunky silver clasp. Thanks!

Attachments

• pearls3.jpg
    pearls3.jpg
    196.4 KB · Views: 27
  • pearls4.jpg
    pearls4.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 25
  • pearls1.jpg
    pearls1.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 27
  • pearls2.jpg
    pearls2.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 27
  • pearlss1.jpg
    pearlss1.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 28
  • pearlss2.jpg
    pearlss2.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 24
  • pearlss3.jpg
    pearlss3.jpg
    190.1 KB · Views: 24
  • pearlsss1.jpg
    pearlsss1.jpg
    194.3 KB · Views: 26
  • pearlsss2.jpg
    pearlsss2.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 24
  • pearlsss3.jpg
    pearlsss3.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG 3242
    IMG 3242
    67.3 KB · Views: 37
First photo, fwp
Pearls on nylon, may be imitation-- did you try the tooth test, examine the drill holes?
Multistrand necklace, fwp including dyed pearls. I don't think those are Tahitians. They have the shape of baroque akoyas but the color of dyed FWP. What is the size of the dark pearls?

I flipped the last photo to see the bigger pearls against the ruler edge. Looks like the bigger pearls are around 8 - 9mm average??? I'm guessing dyed baroque akoyas on the bigger pearls?

pearlsss4rsup.jpg

It's just so odd to see akoyas dyed that color. I'm sure I've never seen any that color.

Could they be dyed bead nucleated fwp?

First photo, fwp
Pearls on nylon, may be imitation-- did you try the tooth test, examine the drill holes?
Multistrand necklace, fwp including dyed pearls. I don't think those are Tahitians. They have the shape of baroque akoyas but the color of dyed FWP. What is the size of the dark pearls?

Pearl Dreams, the floating (fishing line) pearls are genuine. They are gritty and I can tell by the other attributes. Thanks!

How did I miss these earlier? Excellent loot, Kimberly! Agree with PD, first strand is freshwater, if the drill holes have a sharp edge on the nylon tin cup, they are so round they would be Akoya (5 mm?) probably.

Remember we measure size of pearl perpendicular to the drill hole, so the dark pearls are about 7-8mm? I get to see quite a few Tahitians and the way the color shows up on these pearls looks more like dyed bead nucleated freshwater and the shapes just don't seem quite right for Tahitians. Pinks appear to be natural color with excellent luster. Great clasp, bet this necklace looks stunning on!

I agree that the top are freshwater and that the second strand might be lower grade Akoya as the lustre is nice but not sharp.. and they are so round. The third necklace is very cool and the little lavender pearls are nice little freshwaters but the larger ones have me wondering. The look to be around 10mm which would be pretty big for Akoya but the colour suggested they aren't - I've never seen Akoya dyed like that. I'd think Tahitian but the colour is weird .. but maybe they were low grade and they dyed them ?

I agree that the top are freshwater and that the second strand might be lower grade Akoya as the lustre is nice but not sharp.. and they are so round. The third necklace is very cool and the little lavender pearls are nice little freshwaters but the larger ones have me wondering. The look to be around 10mm which would be pretty big for Akoya but the colour suggested they aren't - I've never seen Akoya dyed like that. I'd think Tahitian but the colour is weird .. but maybe they were low grade and they dyed them ?

Thanks, Pattye!

Thanks Katbran!

So neat to see everyone's opinion. There's no doubt the first is fwp. The second, I thought was a lower quality akoya. The third, I thought, was fwp for the small and a dyed baroque akoya. The larger pearls have me stumped too, but I figured cfw don't really come in shapes like that in that size. Baroque akoyas don't come in those colors, and the surface is definitely dyed on those pearls.

Back