What kind of pearls do I have?

MarshaZ

I have two strands of pearls which belonged to my mother, along with a business card which is from CARO YAMAOKA Pearls NY, NY. I believe the pearls were purchased in the 50's or 60's.

The longer strand is 33 inches; the shorter is 15 inches. Additionally, I have 2 extra pearls and 5 small pins. Note that both clasps appear the same; however, the clasp on the shorter necklace is missing the ornamental pearl.

pictures of both follow hopefully, the short strand photos appear first. Please reach out to me if you need more images. Thanks!

Short.jpgshort close up.jpgShort clasp.jpg

Attachments

• long clasp.jpg
    long clasp.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 25
  • long.jpg
    long.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 22
  • long close up.jpg
    long close up.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 23
  • pins.jpg
    pins.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 24
  • extra.jpg
    extra.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 20
  • extra (bk).jpg
    extra (bk).jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 22
You have some lovely cultured akoya pearls. They would benefit from restringing, and a fix to the clasp with the missing pearl.

The "pins" are actually pearl shorteners. You'll notice that there is no point to the pin part, because it's not designed to poke through fabric.

Thank you for the speedy response! Any suggestion as to where I might be able to sell them (if at all) in the NY/NJ area?

Thanks again!!

You have some lovely cultured akoya pearls. They would benefit from restringing, and a fix to the clasp with the missing pearl.

The "pins" are actually pearl shorteners. You'll notice that there is no point to the pin part, because it's not designed to poke through fabric.

Pre-owned pearls do not tend to hold their value on resale unless they are historic or a major name brand, like Mikimoto.

However, if you are sure you want to sell them, you can try listing them on Loupe Troop or Diamond Bistro. There's always eBay as well.

There is no buying or selling here on Pearl-Guide.

Back