Pearls won at auction

Nahanni

Hello All, new here, and new to pearls!

I stumbled across this great site looking for pearl info on a 15” strand I won at auction for $20.00.

The auction placed a retail value of $200 CAD but I really have my doubts. Also, from what I’ve found so far on the net, I’m more confused than ever: fresh water? circle? baroque? Something else?. Anyhow, on to answer the required questions...

It was gritty against my front tooth (not the most pleasant experience). The clasp is a basic magnetic; nothing fancy. The pearls measure between 6-7mm. The lustre and/or colour is very inconsistent across each pearl but it does play the light really quite well – lots of fire!

Photos – the best I’ve got are not as clear as I would like – my phone recently developed a bug in its focus.

doubled.jpg

closeup - a.jpg

detail - a.jpg

detail - b.jpg

detail - c.jpg

detail - d.jpg

semi-strand.jpg

half-loop.jpg

So what do you think?

(Mods, if these files are too big or provide 'too much information' feel free to delete as necessary:))

Hi Nahanni,

Those are freshwater cultured pearls from China. They are baroque in that they are not symmetrical around an axis, and the circles formed naturally. Baroque and circled pearls often have nice luster and color play. :)

The $200 CAD retail value was extremely exaggerated. It's good that you didn't pay over $20 for them.

They are inexpensive, circled baroque, freshwater pearls from China. I would say they are worth $20, but not more than that.

Thanks for your quick replies!

After posting, I thought 15" is a bit awkward from a practical point of view, and the clasp was really quite awful. I then checked out this site's current Ebay article and it all became quit apparent :p.

I should mention that it was not an Ebay auction, but one local to the Vancouver area of British Columbia. Here's the link as a heads up as these types of auctions are all over North America! http://www.liveauctionworld.com/White-Pearl-Necklace_i27667747. It's not to say that all, or even this particular auction house, are knowingly trying to deceive people; they move a lot of estate stuff 2, maybe 3 auctions a week. They will take things back if not as advertised.

Thank you so much for looking into this for me!
I feel smarter, wiser, and now find myself strangely attracted to pearls :eek:
Cheers!

First, welcome to PG. If you love pearls, this is a great place to find out information on them and learn more about pearl jewelry in general. I applaud your first attempt at buying. Sounds like you are happy with them, which really is what matters most! This would be a wonderful strand to learn how to string pearls. There are so many great sources for pretty clasps, beads, etc. While they may be inexpensive, they certainly have character. What you learn from this buying experience will be invaluable. Welcome aboard.

Just a heads-up to anyone replying that I just approved the OP's post #4. :)

OP, when you compare the auction site's photos against a black background with your own against a white background, you'll notice that a dark background makes it harder to see flaws, luster etc. To get a good idea of what pearls look like, it's best to see them against a white background (something to consider for future purchases.)

I agree that they will drape better if you knot them, and that will also add length. Each knot is about 0.4mm, so I estimate that the necklace would be about 3/4" longer if you knot it.

Last edited:
Thank you all for your fine insights. Giving it some extra length is a great idea.

There’s a bead shop I went to for some beads to use for coho & steelhead fishing. I noticed they had some better quality semiprecious stuff there that, along with knotting*, could be quite appropriate to fill the strand out a bit. They also had sterling clasps.

On the other hand, I think those pearls could make some great minnow patterns… but I digress.

Q: Would knotting be necessary if I were to space the pearls with some kind of small ‘seed’ beads? Say amethyst or black onyx, maybe garnet… Thinking out-loud here, and perhaps answering my own question, I’m guessing there’s a ware factor that knotting prevents?

It's true that knots reduce wear between the pearls, but these are inexpensive pearls, so I would not worry too much about about wear.

Knots serve another function, beyond preventing wear and providing flexibility: they help prevent loss of the pearls if the thread breaks. If you use gemstone beads, be aware that their drill holes are often rough at the edges and may cut through the thread. Many of us use coated beading wire for strands that have gemstones in them, and attach them to the clasp with crimp beads. The 49 ply wire is strong and flexible. If the beads have very small holes you may need a finer wire. I've used Soft Touch for beads with very small drill holes.

2mm beads between the pearls are small enough to give the strand the same flexibility that knots do. I've used garnets this way in other bead strands...eg. between tourmalines. Some people use silicone bumpers (see Beadalon's website) which come in different sizes and colors.

Last edited:
Thanks so much for your quick response Pearl Dreams!

I ended up looking into the 'Lowly Beader's Corner' as suggested by Lady_Disdain and found a wealth of info. addressing many similar concerns. This site is truly a great resource!

Thanks again

Back