What color are my grandmothers pearls and what shoudl I wear with them for my wedding

pearlyem

My middle name is Pearl. I was named after an elderly woman both of my parents knew and looked up to.
I have always planned on wearing pearls on my wedding day and anticipated wearing white pearls.
Last week my mom told me she had a pearl necklace that was my grandmother's and I was so excited that
I could wear them; however, they are not white.... This disappoints me a little, but I still want to wear them, so I would
like to find some earrings that GO with it but I can't decide what color it is. in some light kinda champaign-ish others just and off-white/very pale pink maybe???? what are your thoughts? I know these arent the best pictures.

Attachments

• 20170629_213609.jpg
    20170629_213609.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 46
  • 20170629_213626.jpg
    20170629_213626.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 159
  • 20170629_213619.jpg
    20170629_213619.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 90
  • 20170629_215349.jpg
    20170629_215349.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 47
  • 20170629_215341.jpg
    20170629_215341.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 50
Pearls yellow when they are kept in their box and never worn. Wear them a lot before the wedding to help bring them back to life.

They might benefit from a gentle wash with some soap. Then rinse in clear water and roll in a towel. When the towel is dry, remove the pearls and the pearls will be dry, too. That might lighten them up a little.

Don't stress over matching your earrings to the necklace. Your ears are not close enough to your neck for anyone to notice a difference.

Tans and creams and whites all go together, and give a beautiful antique look.
The fact that the pearls are not pure white will make them stand out more, is my feeling.
If they were matchy matchy to your dress, they wouldn't look as special.

I cannot tell if your pearls are real. They look a bit like my grandmother's Richelieu pearls, which are artificial and yellowed the same way. I still wear them and think of Nana.

I have never heard of the yellowing of pearls being reversible...I think the color change is permanent. If you want matching earrings you might do best with vintage/pre-owned ones that have similarly yellowed. You could check consignment shops/thrift shops or the estate jewelry case of a local jeweler; bring the strand with you when you shop.

Like BWeaves, I also can't tell from the photos whether the pearls are imitation or genuine. One simple test is to rub one pearl gently against another...use two of the pearls near the clasp. Or you can rub one pearl (again, use one of the ones in the back) very gently against the edge of your front tooth. Genuine nacre feels a bit gritty or resistant when rubbed this way, while imitation pearls glide smoothly against each other.
Here are some other indicators of imitation pearls, some of which may not be present in better imitations: a buildup of excess imitation coating near some of the drill holes, beveled drill holes, large holes (real pearls are sold by weight so are drilled with a very small hole), areas where the coating is peeled away to show a glass bead inside, etc.

If after all you decide you really prefer to wear a white strand for your wedding, near-round Chinese freshwater pearls are an affordable option. You could always keep grandmother's pearls for sentimental reasons.

I agree, PD. I don't think the pearls themselves will lighten up, but if there is any dirt or grime that is causing a bit of the yellowing, that will disappear with a good wash. Yellowing from old age from sitting in the box won't be affected.

Yes, and grime buildup can also make imitation pearls not glide as easily as they would against each other otherwise, making it harder to test if they are imitation. So the suggestion to give them a bath is a good one. :)

You could also restring them if the silk has yellowed. That might give it a little boost of white. Congratulations on your upcoming wedding.

Back