Help with these pearls?

I love the idea of using the original clasps with new pearls!

I third this!

I did this with my grandmother's strand of akoyas. The clasp was great, but the pearls were worn out. PP matched new pearls to the clasp, and now I really enjoy wearing them again.

I would love to see a picture of your 1933 strand!

Here you go! (hope someone doesn't think this is too OT)
It is 53cm long and pearls range from 3mm to almost 8mm. It has a very small clasp that has (Swedish) hallmarks on it, telling the year it was made, in what town and by what goldsmith. (It also used to have a safety clasp that I removed because it was way to fiddly for me). Pearls have darkened somewhat over the years, but they still have a nice luster.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 38
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 34
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 38
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 36
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 38
Very cool, raggdoll! Thanks for posting the photos!

Now, a question-- how much do you wear it? I find I don't wear my vintage momme strand often at all. The necklace turns around so that the center pearl is always off center, and the pearls are so much smaller than my other strands. I do enjoy taking it out to look at it, though.

Nice and classic. The clasp is already doubly secure. A safety chain is almost overkill, but they would have been very special.

Pearl Dreams: I wear it with certain clothes, mainly dresses that have a bit of "retro"-feel (1950s vibes). If I wear it with a plain shirt it looks more dated (in my opinion), so then I would opt for larger pearls instead.

BWeaves: Yes it really felt overkill with that security clasp, I like it much better this way

Back