Are these south sea pearls or Tahitian pearls? I am a tad confused.

SanchDi

I am new in this industry and have been working with a pearl supplier from the Philippines. From what little I know about pearls, Tahitians are the only naturally occuring black/peacock pearls there are. This was presented to me as South Sea pearls. I would greatly appreciate your input.

Attachments

• DSC_0167.jpg
    DSC_0167.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 47
  • DSC_0166.jpg
    DSC_0166.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 44
The term South Sea Pearls is used for saltwater pearls in the white to gold range that are cultured in the silver-lipped oyster or the gold-lipped oyster. Tahitian pearls are also saltwater pearls but are cultured in the black-lipped oyster.
Technically there are other dark pearls. Pearls from Fiji, and the Cook Islands, and Sea of Cortez for example.

The important thing to remember is that dyed cultured freshwater pearls from China are often deceptively marketed as Tahitians. However, I think you have a strand of Tahitians there.

Edit: Katbran has a good suggestion. Get clear, in-focus photos on a white background, and no flash. Only then can you see the overtones of the pearls.

Thank you so much for your responses. I will request for photos with a white background. Also, this was offered to me for $700. She told me it's a significant discount. Should I go for it?

Don't decide until you see what they look like on a white background.
And then only buy them if you love them!

Yes, I agree with Pearl Dreams and Katbran on getting them photographed on a white background. I'd say that to my eye, this strand appears to have significant imperfections...for me, I would pass on this and invest in either a very nice pendant, or save for a nicer quality strand. $700 is not a small sum of money, so I would definitely investigate what other vendors are offering at that price point. Just my two cents....

I also think the price is high considering the numerous surface blemishes and dull luster.

Back