I have a lot of loose pearls from the middle east and I would love any help...

MDEdwards

Hi everyone.

My ex husband is a Marine and while deployed to Bahrain and Iraq his big purchase for me was pearls of multiple sizes just strung loose. I have done research on multiple occasions trying to figure out their quality and value and how I might go about selling them for the proper value. I have done all of the tests on them - heat, tooth, light and burn. I know that they are real pearls. The flame did no damage at all. You can see yourself pretty crisply in them. My ASSUMPTION has been that they were cultured, but on only a few of them do I see a dark spot..the rest just get darker toward the center as they get denser. I know I would need an xray to know for sure, but I don't really even know where to start. I am going to post some pictures in hopes that you guys can tell me what you think! Thank you in advance for anything you have to tell me! 20170308_150548.jpg20170308_150639.jpg

Hi MDEdwards, and welcome to Pearl-Guide.

While Bahrain only permits natural pearls (not cultured), you mentioned your ex husband was also in Iraq.

The little button shaped ones look like Chinese cultured freshwater pearls, as do the peach/pink ones (FWP come in those colors naturally), and also the ones with silver spacers between them.

To come right down to it, even the most nearly round pearls do not look fully round to me...so again, CFWP, in my opinion.

Cultured freshwater pearls in general do not have a high sale value, and pre-owned pearls even less. In general pearls that are rounder, larger and have a cleaner surface will sell for more than non-round, flawed and smaller pearls. I suggest you look on eBay (for example) for sold listings of similar pearls to get an idea of what price they may bring.

Back