pearl ring

linda.wald

I got this a long time ago at a gem show, and the seller thought it is natural. It feels gritty to the tooth, and has what looks like a rough patch on the back. It is about 13 x 10 cm at the widest parts. What do you think?
22k_pearl_ring1.jpg
22k_pearl_ring2.jpg
22k_pearl_ring5.jpeg
22k_pearl_ring7.jpeg

Linda, what a cool ring! Certainly it possibly could be a natural pearl. Have you tried candling it? Somewhere on this forum are directions for how to do this (not with a candle!) If I can find them, I will link here. You will be shining a strong light "through" the pearl and photographing what you see for a nucleus. Or not. Dave, our natural pearl expert is great at explaining what is seen in the photo.

It's a fairly basic setting, and the bezel is not well finished (rough (in metalsmithing terms) and doesn't fit in places) Plus it is very large for a natural. I'd say a large old freshwater baroque button. (or possibly baroque blister or mabe - would need to see the back face more clearly) I can remember having a few similar some years ago. Or, possibly a baroque south sea...Very unlikely to be a natural

Um, yes, I did mean mm! I got the ring between 25 and 30 years ago, if that helps. It looks rough on the back, like it was detached from the shell.
here is a close up of the back:
22k_ring_back.jpg

and one with it candled:
pearl_ring_candled.jpeg

Pure speculation, but it looks like a natural American "Mississippi River" type pearl to me. I've seen rustic setting on those. Hopefully Dave will weigh in when he can.

Back