Are these really akoya pearls?

raggdoll

I recently bought this pearl necklace from a reputable vendor who marked them as akoya pearls. I have not received it yet so I don't have any more pictures to show, but I hope you can tell from these two pictures if you think they indeed are akoyas. I am starting to question it since I looked more closely and saw that some of the pearls aren´t completely round. I don't know if this is just a distortion in the picture, at least that is what I am hoping for. The clasp is 18k white gold and the pearls measure from 3-7,2mm. I am very grateful for any input!

Attachments

• Pearls 1.jpg
    Pearls 1.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 20
  • Pearls 2.jpg
    Pearls 2.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 19
Thank you so much! What does "momme" mean? Is it that the pearls are graduated?

Momme is a unit of weight equal to 3.75 grams.

In WWII times, many Japanese 3.5 momme graduated pearl strands were sold to soldiers and others working overseas in the area, who then brought them home to their wives and girlfriends. Your pearls may date from then or later, as graduated strands were made afterward too.

As pearls are sold by weight, graduating the strands made them lighter and more affordable.

I like the clasp on your strand, and that it is 18k. Was it restrung?

I also liked the clasp very much, it looked very classic. I believe it has been restrung but I don't know just how recently. I payed about the equivalent of 140 euros, which I hope was a good deal. I have been wanting a graduated akoya strand for quite some time!

Back