What kind of pearl?

pearlyblack

Hiya

I was wondering if you can help me identify this pearl in this ring.

pearly.jpg

The picture makes it look greenish but it is more of a grey colour. I might try another pic in natural light tomorrow.

The pearl is approx 16mm

Markings on the ring 0.30 and Pt900

Looks like a cultured Tahitian pearl. Nice surface and if it is 16mm that's a very large pearl.

Thanks Katbran

I took another picture with natural light.

pearly2.jpg

Is anyone able to estimate how much this ring is worth? and where the best place to sell it? eBay?

Pt900 means platinum.
I am guessing .30 means .30 carat total weight for the side stones.

Can you consign it with a local jeweler?

Some people sell their pre-owned jewelry on Diamond Bistro or Loupe Troop, or even eBay.

If you are a member of Pricescope you can create a sales thread on their Pre-Loved forum (visible only when you are signed in) and put a link to your sales thread in that post. (However you can't sell directly on Pricescope as there is no way to send private messages there, therefore no way to arrange for payment and shipping in private.)

I think the Pt900 means Platinum, 900 fine, which means the ring is 900/1000 parts platinum (or 90%). It's a very nice ring. I would get an estimate from a jeweler, even if only a verbal one.

Good idea Linda. They said I have to make the first offer and I didn't know what to say. I could have it officially appraised but it was quite expensive without knowing how much it was worth.

I might keep it but I'm curious about how much I could get if I did decide to sell and where I could sell it.

Thanks

pearlyblack,

The problem with selling our used jewelry is that it's....well, used.

Even if it's in great shape, there is depreciation simply because it is not new any more. Also, pearls in particular do not tend to hold value on resale the way precious metals do.

If you can find a similar item that has already been sold, it will give you an idea of what you might get for it. Otherwise, try to find a similar item for sale by a jewelry store online, and price yours at 50-60% of that and see if it sells. You can always drop the price if it is still too high.

Definitely work out the metal for sure and I'd avoid eBay and use the sites that Pearl Dreams suggested. You are in competition on eBay with lots of fake or dyed pearls and they look similar and are 40$ . At least on the other sites it's a little more knowledgeable market but just verify what you are selling. I'd assume that if it's platinum then it's diamond side stones but make sure. Good luck !

That's a gorgeous ring. The ladies here have given you good advice ... verify the metal, side stones and if you wish to sell, try DiamondBistro or Loupe Troop, where you are more likely to catch the eye of a pearl collector and not compete with the eBay sellers of fake and counterfeit pearls. Good luck; If it were mine, I'd keep it and wear it :) Let us know how you make out with the verification and what you decide to do; we love stories.

Back