What do I have here?

lisalmanning

Anyone that could shed some light on what I have here would be appreciated.

Double stranded.
Pearls are starts smaller by the clasp and larger towards the center.
Clasp appears to be ruby or garnet.

History is unknown. They were in my mothers safe deposit box. I have never seen them.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 19
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 20
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Welcome lisalmanning!

They could be cultured akoya pearls or they could be imitations.

Do the pearls feel slightly gritty or smooth when rubbed gently against another pearl? Please rub gently!
If they are gritty, they are likely to be real nacre (genuine pearls.) If they feel smooth, they are likely imitation pearls.

Please take a few close up photos of any flaws in the pearls surface, without flash against a white background. Also can you photograph the stone on the clasp?

Describe any marks on the clasp. These may be numbers (14K, 585, 750, 925 etc.) or brand names or even pictures.

Look at the drill holes.
Do you see any any flaking, any exposed bead?
Also do you see any excess pearl coating?

Last edited:
I feel confident in saying they are gritty when rubbed together. There are markings and I have taken better photos so hopefully they come through. They are a truly lovely set, to me anyway. There are 6 quarter carat sized ruby or garnet surrounding another pearl on the clasp. The photos I have uploaded can be blown up for better details. Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!

I can't make out the mark but I think they are akoya pearls and the clasp stones do look like garnets.

The strand will look so much better after it is given a bath and restrung. This isn't hard to do; many of us string our own pearls.

Soak the pearls in a bath of bottled water with some mild soap. (This avoids the minerals of hard water as well as chlorine.) Use a soft cloth to wipe carefully between the pearl where grime accumulates. I like to use a microfiber cloth for this. Rinse and lay them on a towel to dry.

We have information on how to restring pearls in the Lowly Beaders Forum-- see the stickied threads.

I believe it say 9ct, meaning 9 ct gold. As my mother was a British citizen I believe that would place the age at around the time of WW2 when 9 carat gold was used due to high prices in England and all of Europe, really.

Graduated akoya stands were commonly sold in WWII era. That strand is special for you, being your Mom's-- by all means clean and restring it and wear it!

Welcome Lisa :) I'm not an expert, but to me it looks like really lovely akoya cultured pearls, with a 9ct gold clasp set with garnets ... very very pretty.

Another good thing is that nacre tended to be thicker in akoya pearls from that era.

If finding these pearls means your mother has passed, wearing them can be a great way to honor her memory. They are lovely.

Thanks everyone! I think I will clean them and try to have them restrung. Then have an appraisal done on them to see how much I would have to pay the estate to be able to keep them. 😬 Wish me luck!

Back