Could these be south sea pearls?

kian

Community member
My dad brought me a strand of pearls from a recent trip to the Philippines. Could these be South Sea? They are really heavy and of huge size compared to my 9-10 mm freshwater pearl collection. They feel gritty when rubbed together, has blisters on the surface and of not the same shape so I know they are real pearls however the size has stunned me. It measured 13-15 mm approximately or half an inch for the biggest one in the middle.
Could this be large sized fwp or real ssp? Can someone let me know the value of this necklace too, if it's real ssp? Thanks for the info everyone. I'm really grateful for this site because I am learning a lot here.

How can I attach pic here? Pls pardon a new comer :)

Do I have south sea pearl?

Do I have south sea pearl?

I got a strand of huge pearls. Could these pearls be South Sea? Anyone knows an estimate value for this necklace? The clasp is not real silver nor gold though. But it measures 13-15 mm or half an inch for the biggest pearl. It feels gritty when rubbed together, with blisters on surface but not much, weighs heavy almost 107 grams.

Could these be south sea pearls?

My dad brought me a necklace of pearls from a recent trip in the Philippines. They are huge compared to my 9-10 mm FWP. Could these be South Sea? They are really heavy and of huge size about 13-15mm or about half an inch for the biggest pearl in the middle of the strand. They feel gritty when rubbed together, has blisters on the surface and of not the same shape so I know they are real pearls however the size has stunned me.
Could this be large sized fwp or real ssp? Does anyone know the value of this necklace too, if it's real ssp? Thanks for the info everyone. I'm really grateful for this site because I am learning a lot here.
IMG_20160726_114219.jpgIMG_20160726_115628.jpgIMG_20160726_114107.jpgIMG_20160726_113358.jpg

Hi klan and welcome to Pearl-Guide!

Please take photos on a white background (like a paper towel) and no flash. Include a few close ups.

To post your photos, do this:

How to upload photos from a computer. (Note: If you are new to Pearl-Guide, you may need to wait for attachments to be approved by Administration. Please be patient.)

1. Click on Manage Attachments. This opens a small window, the File Upload Manager.
2. Click the green + button to "Add files".
3. Click "Choose File". This opens a large window to your computer files. Find the photo file you want to upload.
4. Highlight the one you selected and Choose it. The large window will go away.
5. On the small File Upload Manager window you should now see the name of the file you have chosen. Click "Upload".
6. Next to Manage Attachments you should now see the name of the photo you have uploaded.
7. If you have more photos to upload, repeat the process-- click "Choose File" on the small File Upload Manager window, etc.
8. When you are done uploading, click Preview Post to see your post, or just Submit.
9. If you want to add more photos or remove photos later, return to Manage Attachments.

Some people upload photos from a mobile device, and sorry but I don't do it that way (I don't have a smartphone) and am not sure how!

Thanks Pearl Dreams for the quickest reply! I figured it out on my new post.

I merged your 3 threads so they are all together.

I need to take my D to the train station but will be back later to have a look. Meanwhile others will be sure to reply to this thread. :)

I will try again taking pic on a white background. Thanks again!

Thank you so much Pearl Dreams!
Your support is deeply appreciated!

Thanks for the reply jshepherd!
Is there any particular character of South Sea pearls that could differentiate from freshwater pearls? Just like the luster of Akoya pearls are far higher than FWP? Are SSPs have luster like Akoyas?

It's not the luster. It more the shape and the surface. Deep inclusions several millimeters in the nacre don't typically occur with South Sea pearls because they are bead nucleated. If there are rings in a South Sea strand, they'll be perpendicular to the drill hole. If the pearls are elongated or potato shape, they will typically be drilled through the most elongated axis. This strand has all the characteristics of a typical, albeit large, freshwater strand.

Jeremy, do you think they have a bead nucleus? (Their large size is what makes me wonder.)

Last edited:
I don't think so. I have had some freshwaters that big. They are huge, what a great strand!!!!! The shape is a little eggy and would never be elongated like that if it had a nucleus.

Freshwater pearls that size are unusual and will become more unusual once the the nucleated huge ones started being grown more widely. It can take 8-10 years for a tissued freshwater pearl to get that size. This is a rare strand.

So there you go, kian-- you have an unusually large, solid-nacre freshwater strand. (I personally think that is preferable to a low quality SS strand.)

Wear it in good health!

I appreciate all your replies! But to settle a matter, two or more witnesses are needed. 1 point for solid-nacred extra large FWP. 1 point for low quality SSP.

I thought they might be bead-nuked FWP but Caitlin is right, they would be rounder if there were a bead inside. I don't see anyone on this thread saying they are anything other than FWP.

Jeremy (jshepherd), as the owner of Pearl Paradise, handles thousands of FWP and SSP-- if he says they are FWP, you can count on it. His is the expert opinion here.

The oblong shape is a dead giveaway, but they are pretty. I would definitely wear them. :)

I posted in the other thread re: low quality SSP, and this strand does not strike me as a low quality SSP, but a CFWP instead.

However, I am no expert.

Jeremy is the expert as the others have already commented.

DK :)

Back