Unknown Pearls

w0nd3r

I am very unfamiliar with pearls and the type they are, so any help would be greatly appreciated. I am mainly interested in what type they are.

1. Do the pearls feel slightly gritty or smooth when rubbed gently against your tooth or against another pearl?
They feel slightly sandy and make a scratching noise when rubbing them against my tooth.

2. Please provide clear, in-focus photos without flash against a white background (a paper towel works nicely.)
Include close-ups of the clasp (front and back) and a few of the pearls. If there are flaws, include a photo of those. Also the box they came in, and tags if you have them.
Images attached.

3. Any history you can give us about the pearls.
All I know about these pearls is that they are from the Souqs in Qatar.

4. Describe any marks on the clasp.
The only marking I see is on one clasp that says 14KGP.

5. Measure the pearls, with a millimeter ruler if possible. If they are graduated, measure the largest and smallest pearls.
Approximately 6mm.

Attachments

• IMG_20160608_231847.jpg
    IMG_20160608_231847.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_20160608_231802.jpg
    IMG_20160608_231802.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_20160608_231921.jpg
    IMG_20160608_231921.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 33
Hi w0nd3r,

I'm thinking they may be Chinese cultured freshwater pearls due to the eggy shape, the fact that the clasp is only gold plated, and the colors. FWP come in natural colors like peach but they are also sometimes dyed.

Welcome to Pearl-Guide!
Pearl Dreams evaluation seems accurate to me: freshwater pearls, probably natural color peach. The ombre look is very in style. Lots of sparkle with the crystal roundels, too! Thanks very much for the good photos and for answering the questions.

Thank you all for the help. How would I go about finding out the authenticity of them?

Cultured freshwater pearls from China like yours are readily available and they don't have a high value. In your case, we can tell from the shape and coloration, and by the use of plated metal clasp and crystal roundels (rather than karat gold and diamonds) that the approximate value retail would be $100-$200, in my opinion.

That said, they are a very pretty and wearable set. In addition, pearls like this don't have a bead center, so they are all nacre. I'm not sure what you mean by finding out the authenticity?

Thank you very much, you answered my question perfectly! Wasn't sure how to ask what I wanted to know, so new to the pearl world!

Back