Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Metallic Goldens - GSSPs or Golden Akoyas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Perlas, Your photos are wonderful; I certainly didn't mean this as a criticism of them. My laptop monitor display isn't the best. I feel I will forever struggle with taking accurate photos. I don't have an IPad or an IPhone either. Maybe someday.
    Pattye

PatriciaSaabDesigns.etsy.com

facebook.com/PatriciaSaabDesigns

SO MANY PEARLS, SO LITTLE TIME----

Comment

Pattye no offense taken. I was also just pointing out my limitations in taking photos. I do not have a professional camera and iPads do not have a flash so I always need natural light!
      ______Perlas
      o-o-o E Unio Plurum o-o-o

Comment

You can get around the orient by submerging the pearls in water and then photographing. I'm using natural light, indoors (using a regular autofocus camera, nothing fancy).

Here are some photos I just took.

• The exotic FW strand submerged in water in a white bowl. The metallic gold pearl is the one between the pink and white pearls.
        Interesting colors, no? I don't know what the body color is -- it seems like 3 different colors: blue, green and pink.

• The gold FW strand next to my GSS strand in a dry white bowl (this photo actually makes it ruddier than it looks to my eye), and also submerged in water. The color of the GSS doesn't change appreciably but the gold FWP certainly does. In other words, the gold color of this FWP is produced by orient-- it's not a body color.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Pearl Dreams; 03-24-2016, 08:58 PM.

Comment

Here is another (dry) comparison of the gold FWP and the GSS to compare color; the gold FWP is definitely redder:
          Attached Files

Comment

Nice input Pearl Dreams! I will try them tomorrow.
            ______Perlas

Comment

Originally posted by Pearl Dreams View Post
              You can get around the orient by submerging the pearls in water and then photographing. I'm using natural light, indoors
              I submerged the pearls in a bowl of water and here are the results I got:

Indoors - the studs seem of same color but I think the orient and luster became more pronounced in all the pearls. The golden FWP in the strand seem to be more golden submerged but I see a hint of pink/peach (?) body color? They look similar to the high orient studs?

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	366013

Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	366014

This is how the pearls registered in direct sunlight submerged in water:

Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	366015

Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	366016
              Last edited by perlas; 03-25-2016, 11:51 AM.
              ______Perlas

Comment

Wow, that is interesting! I think your FWP didn't alter as much as mine did under water, but it does resemble the high orient studs when under the water. (I especially love the colors we see in the FWP that is directly to the left of the bronze/gold pearl.)

Now if only we had some known-golden akoyas to photograph under water....

Does anyone have some golden akoyas they would be willing to submerge in water and photograph?

Comment

I love those pearls and am learning something in this thread. Thanks!

Also I forgot all about E Unio Plurum .
                  Love that you are using it!!
                  Caitlin

How to hand-knot pearls without a tool

My avatar is a Sea of Cortez mabe pearl. One of a pair of Mexican handmade earrings.

Comment

Very interesting, too bad I don't own any golden akoya.

Comment

Very neat observations! I wish I had some golden akoyas.

Comment

Ooh, I have golden akoya but I don't dare submerge them for fear of messing with the silk thread. Sorry, guys...

Comment

Working...
                        X