Antique necklace?

hannah

Hi everyone,
I have another necklace and I don't know if it's cultured or faux. It has a beautiful sapphire/diamond clasp. The diamonds are OMC from the last quarter of the 19th century. I was told to do an x-ray. However, I refuse to waste any money if it's not necessary. What do you think? Thank you for any response! - Hannah

01.jpg

02.jpg

02a.jpg

02b.jpg

03.jpg
[
ATTACH]40532[/ATTACH]

Attachments

• 05.jpg
    05.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 33
Hannah, What an interesting piece with a most special clasp! What size are the pearls? They certainly could use a bath. Do you see any peeling near the drill holes? Any blemishes? Are there slight differences in the sizes of the pearls? I'm thinking they could be cultured, but very well matched. From what I can see the drill holes don't look like the usual ones in faux pearls. So, why not cut the necklace and look down the drill hole with a loupe? Let us know what you see.

Hannah, sorry the clasp also caught my attention more than the pearls. The clasp judging from the color and shine (I can even see some inclusions in the melees) has chances to be a sapphire with diamonds and might be more valuable than the pearls. :)

Hannah, What an interesting piece with a most special clasp! What size are the pearls? They certainly could use a bath. Do you see any peeling near the drill holes? Any blemishes? Are there slight differences in the sizes of the pearls? I'm thinking they could be cultured, but very well matched. From what I can see the drill holes don't look like the usual ones in faux pearls. So, why not cut the necklace and look down the drill hole with a loupe? Let us know what you see.

They are 8.4mm to 10mm. They have a few blemishes on the surface like small dimples, spots, rings, etc. Since the string is already falling apart, I will cut it and look down the drill holes and see if I can take a picture of it to post so you can review. Thanks! - Hannah

Great clasp! Big pearls. They definitely need a good bath and restringing.

I'm just always amazed at how grimy some vintage pearls are.

To wash the pearls, carefully cut apart and loosely restring in same order on a strong thread. Follow instructions on how to clean pearls topic. Soft water or distilled water, gentle pure soap, use hands or very soft tooth brush around drill holes. You can let them soak for a little while, 10 min or so and see if the pearls come clean easily.

Unlikely that the pearls are original to the clasp.

I'm just always amazed at how grimy some vintage pearls are.

Yes, and the grime typically accumulates on the part of the pearls' surfaces that don't get rubbed by wearing-- that is, near the drill hole.

I'll bet the pearls will look enormously better after a bath. After soaking 10 minutes or so in the warm soapy bath, wipe grime away with a soft cloth.

Back