Natural Pearls/which type of xray? Bonhams asked for it

lemanmls

Hello to Everyone,

We have sent the pictures of a pearl necklace inherited to Bonhams. It was bought by my grandmother 60 years ago from the most reputable jewellery artisan that time in Istanbul.( I am from Istanbul and sorry for my english) In old times ( still now), one used to send their jewelly back to the store for cleaining / or repair and some merchants were changing the real stones with fake or low quality ones. As my mum claims, they are NATURAL because it was so precious that the jewelly store was sending their own employer to restring it . It consists of 110 + 115 pearls ( 73 cm + 77 cm ), the clasp is red gold 14 k. Since they are oval, egg and semi-baroque shape not possible to give you the dm but they are usually from 0,5 cm - to 0,9 cm width to 0,7 -1,1 cm length.
So, since he is not alive we can no longer contact him and brought it to two reputable jewellery maker. One of them said that the necklace is most probably natural and the other one said "cultured" to my grandmas necklace, and "natural" to my mother's one. In fact, my mother's necklace is 100% a cultured necklace.
Turkey, is a country of gold and jewellery. We contacted the Chamber of Jewellery Makers and an University of Jeology in order to ask them for an X-RAY. They don't have x-ray for pearls. We said it is OK to have them x-rayed by any precious gem machine. They don't have. We called a private institute which offer courses for jewellery . The person on the phone did not even know that there is x-ray, or tomography or micro x-ray for pearl identification.
We tried to x-ray it at a dentist but it does not Show anything.Very low quality.
So, we decided to go to a hospital or a dental hospital which may have much better quality x-ray. However, they have so many machines available. Shall it be Do you have any recommendation which kind of X-RAY machine can we use? Traditional BT PET CT (Positron Emitting Tomography), Volumetric Dental Tomography ( CBCT:Cone Beam Computed Tomography: ) or any other type that you recommend which would at least give us a better idea. hank you for devoting time.

Attachments

• 12743594_10208763395421021_4468880702831387241_n.jpg
    12743594_10208763395421021_4468880702831387241_n.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 57
  • 12669685_10208752658112595_2237435370335507263_n.jpg
    12669685_10208752658112595_2237435370335507263_n.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 62
  • 12688303_10208763393540974_837813018978399973_n.jpg
    12688303_10208763393540974_837813018978399973_n.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 74
  • 12742415_10208763397141064_4123078605105043729_n.jpg
    12742415_10208763397141064_4123078605105043729_n.jpg
    182.1 KB · Views: 71
  • 12744463_10208763392580950_3299977821006255694_n (1).jpg
    12744463_10208763392580950_3299977821006255694_n (1).jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 58
  • overview
    overview
    21.2 KB · Views: 65
Merhaba! Your pearls are gorgeous. It's quite a long double necklace (30 inches), so the pearls are bigger than they look in the photos. I'm no expert at all, but they look very natural to me.

If you cannot find a suitable place to have them x-rayed, perhaps you can try candling them instead?

(Ooops, sorry. I didn't read the part where Bonhams asked for the x-ray. Perhaps they could recommend someone to do it, since they'll want the x-ray from a place where they trust the results.)

Last edited:
Here is the thing -- Bonhams wants evidence that they are natural pearls. You need an x-ray that will show natural features that are not present in tissue-nucleated cultured pearls. For that, you need someone who knows how to take that kind of x-ray and how to evaluate it. I have sent a message to a fabulous Turkish gemologist to see if she can help find you a gemological lab there. Please wait for her answer. :)

Okay. You are right. There are no facilities at the moment in Turkey, although there were in the past. Your best bet is to send them to Switzerland or Germany. Getting x-rays at a hospital, regardless of type is not likely to show what you need as evidence for Bonhams.

Because they are very baroque and modestly sized, they may or may not bring a high value at auction. This is not to say that they are not valuable, but you never know with an auction and you have to pay significant fees. If you are going to the effort to validate that the pearls are natural so you can send them to Bonhams for an auction, you should not waste money in more attempts that might not work and send them instead to a gemological lab, such as SSEF.

Thank you for all your assistance . Isn't it funny that there are gemology labs in whole Turkey? I have been told that the traders were long time against it because they don't want the real value of the jewellery they sell ( esp diamants) to be certifieü. There is too much corruption in this country. The University just started some attempts for an institue together with the stock-exchange but there are NO people in Turkey qualified . Grandma bought them from Leon Çamiç who is maybe the only real jewelly trader in Turkey but he was only the intermediary not the real person who sold to my grandma. We know him since 3 generations and he ofcourse Monsieur Leon claims that they are naturals but we need evidence as he said. Actually they are not very small size pearls. I lost 6-7 pearls of the necklace due to my dog :D and could only recover 2 of them . I would really appreciate if you can enlighten me on the following;
- Do you think just sending 2 of them would be sufficient for the gemological lab at least to give an opinion?
- Can you explain me the process of " candling" ? Maybe before sending them abroad it can give us a hint.
-Or would you recomment any type of x-ray which is close the x-ray used in gemology labs which can be a pre-evaluation ? Accordingly we can send them to Switzerland.

I think you need clarification from Bonhams. Surely they said more than just get an x-ray. You need to ask them about what they require. I think the reason they want you to do this is because they resemble Chinese freshwater cultured pearls. Without a report from a gemological lab, their value is in question. A lot of people have been sure about the provenance of their pearls only to find out they were mislead.

Search candling on the forum to learn more and post closeup photos so we can try to help. :)

Yes. Bonhams needs the whole necklace to be certified. However, those do not look like any natural pearls I have ever seen. Instead of xray, I think the lab should just check whether they are freshwater or saltwater pearls. That should give you your answer. There will be no nucleus, so xraying for one may not be necessary if the salt/fresh water test is done and it comes out freshwater pearls.

60 years ago is 1956. I checked my history books and what what happening in pearls in 1956 was non-nucleated freshwater pearls from Lake Biwa, supplemented by matching pearls from China. They were Brand New and thus, quite valuable back then, and also there are records that many of them got sold to the Middle East as natural. When the Gulf people and people of India realized they were not natural, they quit buying them, but a lot got sold in the meanwhile. (Strack checked fact. from, "pearls" by Elisabeth Strack))

However that is history; you must tie the provenance to your pearls, to sell them at Bonhams. Maybe by paperwork from the family that sold them to you? Also, even though those kinds of pearls sold for high prices- and even as natural at the time, advances in perliculture since then have made the 60 year old pearls far less valuable, though a good provenance may help sell them.

I am so amazed by the possible facts and feedback that I received from all of you. How great meeting such people with such connoaisseur from across the ocean. So, the facts are 1) They can be cultured pearls 2) Can be cultured fresh or saltwater pearls. 3) Or they can be local local freshwater pearls from Turkey.
So, if they are cultured pearls , it is not worth spending USD 2000 to Switzerland for a certificate unless we have a probability that they are natural.
As you requested, I will close the thread and will open a new one for candling . Merci beaucoup!!!!

Hello Everyone, it is unbelievable BUT finally we could find a gem centre who can take the x-ray of the pearls. ( in another city). Mum has an appointment tomorrow. However, they told me " is a pearl identifiable as cultural / natural from X-RAY?" which caused an hesitation in me to trust their know-how. They also included that they have "electro radiography with spectroscopy". I guess it is with UV . Do you think that we can have at least a pre-feedback to identify if they are natural or cultural? It's 2 hours away:(( I will post here the pictures of x-ray.

I hope it does not cost too much, because those pearls have no nucleus to give them away. Rather, a test for saltwater/freshwater origin would be more practical. An x-ray will tell you nothing - unless they are saltwater. If so, then get the xray to sell them at Bonhams.

If an expert in pearl x-rays isn't involved, it's not likely to help your case with Bonhams. I wouldn't risk two thousand dollars on a necklace that is more likely to be cultured than natural. Really, I wish you the best. Good luck tomorrow. :)

Dentist X-ray units and medical ones in general are not really good for pearl work (only some obvious bead cultured ones). You need something more semi-conductor related or designed for the specific job at hand. Externally I would say that the jeweller who stated your pearls were cultured is the correct one, but the X-rays will tell whoever has experience the final result. If you are going to spend money on testing it may be better to do some homework on the main labs and the fees they charge before adding on shipping/insurance costs too. If you can wait for a visit to any country that happens to have a lab and submit the pearls then it will save you some of the costs. Depends how much of a hurry you are in to have them identified! Bonhams will likely only accept the ID from certain labs too, so best to be sure which they would accept. Good luck.

Dentist X-ray units and medical ones in general are not really good for pearl work (only some obvious bead cultured ones). You need something more semi-conductor related or designed for the specific job at hand. Externally I would say that the jeweller who stated your pearls were cultured is the correct one, but the X-rays will tell whoever has experience the final result. If you are going to spend money on testing it may be better to do some homework on the main labs and the fees they charge before adding on shipping/insurance costs too. If you can wait for a visit to any country that happens to have a lab and submit the pearls then it will save you some of the costs. Depends how much of a hurry you are in to have them identified! Bonhams will likely only accept the ID from certain labs too, so best to be sure which they would accept. Good luck.

Actually, It's mum's decision , she is stubborn and likes everything her way,so not much influence on it. I guess her problem is not Bonhams but the jewellery maker even he was only the intermediary. We are still his customer as 3rd generation and she doesn't seem to accept the fact that we have been cheated being so old customer.I am so curious as well. God save anyone from her rage

The place the necklace will be brought is a research centre including gemstones.It's a main lab. But I am not sure that they are qualified in pearls. That's the main concideration.

I hope it does not cost too much, because those pearls have no nucleus to give them away. Rather, a test for saltwater/freshwater origin would be more practical. An x-ray will tell you nothing - unless they are saltwater. If so, then get the xray to sell them at Bonhams.

Caitlin's point is important, though. You will need them tested for saltwater vs. freshwater. If there is no nucleus to be seen, will your mother then decide they are wild/natural saltwater pearls when they could be cultured freshwater pearls that do not have a nucleus?

- Karin

God save anyone from her rage

I'd say it sounds like a case of good luck to your jewellery maker and the lab!!
Let's hope they are up to the task your Mum expects from them!
I am no expert but am enjoying learning from this post.
All the best!

This thread is so interesting. I have to agree with Caitlin though that a freshwater vs. saltwater is more appropriate. The thing about your pearls lemanmis is they are not big, therefore, there will likely be no bead inside. 2nd, it's quite an old strand so whether natural or cultured, the tissue nucleus would have shrunk or decomposed over time and would most likely leave a void inside the pearl. It's really the most difficult thing and might be next to impossible to determine natural vs. cultured on old, small freshwater pearls. Also that is a lot of pearls for a natural strand with seemingly uniform color, given that naturals are very difficult to come by. Anyway, best of luck lemanmis and keep us posted!

Back