Unusual Pearl - Mabe or Natural?

momsjewel

Please help me with trying to identify what type of pearl this is. It has a beautiful blueish color, but, you can also see a dark area in the center. I think it resembles a Mabe pearl, but, because I can see the nucleus??? - possibly a natural pearl. I bought it at an estate sale and love the colors. It is set in 925 sterling with a red garnet. Many thanks!

Attachments

• pearl mabe necklace pendant.jpg
    pearl mabe necklace pendant.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 31
  • pearl mabe necklace pendant close.jpg
    pearl mabe necklace pendant close.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 37
  • pearl mabe necklace pendant side.jpg
    pearl mabe necklace pendant side.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 34
Hi Momsjewel,

Thanks for sharing your pretty pendant. It looks to me like a "nautilus pearl," not an actual pearl, which is cut from the inner ribs of the nautilus shell. It is backed with resin or some type of filler and set like a mabe. Other clues to help identify this are the oval shape, light rib pattern and blue silver color. Blue silver and white are natural colors, but I've seen some for sale in pink and yellow and darker blue.

What size is yours? I LOVE them, here is a photo of some of my "osmena pearl" jewelry. Let us know if yours looks like these.
P1010221.jpg

I've also heard them called "osmena" pearls (except that they're not really pearls). So pretty though! Wish I had one. :)

That's very pretty Momsjewels :) Pattye, lovely examples, especially that necklace with the blue gemstones, sigh!!!

These "pearls" or osmena are just lovely! Pattye, you really did a great job with those aqua nuggets! I have an old wire wrapped (not made by me) milky aqua necklace that is just begging for a re-do/repurpose...but I digress....momsjewel your treasure is really pretty!

This site is just wonderful - thanks for all of the replies. Always a learning lesson. I like the shine and colors, and, Pattye, your collection is beautiful, thanks for sharing.

Back