Antique pearls

Shikra

Hello everyone,

Some sample drilled pearls from an old necklace, and i want to buy that necklace or strand consisted of around 100 pearls of different sizes and shapes of same origin (green color pearls) around 30 to 35 or little more grams approx.

Are these Abalone pearls? or do they worth paying for a good asking price? no idea!

Photos taken direct under sunlight.

Any help would be appreciated,

Thanks

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 28
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 32
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
Welcome Shikra,

No these do not appear to be abalone pearls, they look to me like freshwater cultured mabe pearls that were popular a few years back. They came in white and many dyed colors. I think what you are seeing on the underside in your photos are the nucleus (cultured by man). These were very inexpensive pearls. Here is a photo of some of mine. If you like them, I recommend you pay no more than $25US or so.

image image

The photos of the undersides of the pearls are showing a very faint stony gray-green on my phone, also a very pretty luster on the top sides. Pattye's right on the money, coin-bead nucleated Chinese freshwater pearls.

Thank you Pattye and Lica c for your help,

The photos i posted showing pearls on a black background under direct sunlight and showing same colors as real in person on my monitor, but for the iridescence, my camera couldn't do the justice.

Here is another view, photos taken on an off white background, under indoor dim daylight. Pearl colors are the same green as in real on my monitor.imageimageas in real on my monitor.

The dimension of pearls is like: the big one, by the weight,
1st: 7.2ct, L 16x w 7x Depth 5 mm...
2nd: 5.7ct, 7x6x4mm,
3rd: 4.2ct, 14x9x6mm
4th: 3.9ct 20x9x4mm the long one.
5th: 2.7ct 12x9x4mm

Thanks Pattye and Lisa for your help,

If these are cultured then i certainly won't be interested in buying this necklace, i usually buy and sell antiques, an antique dealer showed me these pearls, i have never seen such green color pearls and iridescence before, but the perforation, drilled holes do show wearing like quite old.

Thanks again
Shikra

Back