Favourite single strand length

kelluvpearls

Consumer
I was wondering what's everyone's favourite length for a single strand of pearls or a tin cup? 20 or 22 inches? Longer or shorter?

My favorite tin cup length is 38" to 40". Can then be worn doubled or as a long necklace. Probably that would be my favorite length for a regular pearl necklace, too(if the pearls are small enough) and if it wasn't so expensive. What I have been doing with my other pearls is having them at 17" and having PP add a 3 inch extender chain, so I can wear them at my neckline or longer over a sweater or blouse.

I like a 32" - 36" rope. I like to be able to see and feel my pearls while I'm wearing them.

However, I also like to wear pearls in layers. A 16" choker, 18" necklace and a long rope all at the same time.

I like 17/18" and 26" best for regular strands.

I'm about to turn one of my 18" into a tin cup and have not decided on the length --- I don't always like how they look doubled.

Also, I think maybe I like a shorter section of chain between pearls more than a longer section.

Last edited:
20" for me. Other lengths don't look nice on me with what I usually wear. But 20" fits most of my wardrobe and I like how it makes my neck look

20-21" is my sweet spot for a single strand. I'm quite tall and my neck is not as slender as it used to be, so I like a little extra length. I can always use a pearl shortener if a particular blouse requires a shorter necklace.

I think it depends on your proportions and what you want to emphasize/shift the attention from in your body. I am petite but relatively large chested, so for ticker necklaces I generally like 22-25" best. For (the usual-sized) pearl strands I like 16-17" best, as I think they put more attention on my neck, I think, though I also like 18", maybe because I am used to longer necklaces.

I like any length, just as long as it is 18 inches, or more. A 16" necklace on me looks like a "cut here" line. Just not attractive.

I like 17/18" and 26" best for regular strands.

I'm about to turn one of my 18" into a tin cup and have not decided on the length --- I don't always like how they look doubled.

Also, I think maybe I like a shorter section of chain between pearls more than a longer section.
Oooh, that sounds interesting...what kind of pearls? chain? Can you tell I have a thing for tin cups?

Oooh, that sounds interesting...what kind of pearls? chain? Can you tell I have a thing for tin cups?

It's a strand of 7.5-8.5mm metallic luster exotics that I bought from PP in 2008. They are very regular in shape-- nice ovals-- and have subtle pastel colors in diffuse light-- but in brighter light appear mostly silvery. I am thinking of alternating the pearls with some gemstone beads I have but I'll have to see which ones complement the pearls' colors (if any).

I bought palladium silver wire and rhodium-plated sterling silver rolo chain in the hope of avoiding tarnish.

I've been planning this forever but...well, I had to put my cat to sleep yesterday morning and I've been in a funk.
I have to find the motivation again.

Sorry I don't want turn the thread into being about my cat. I'll post about it on Other Stuff.

It's a strand of 7.5-8.5mm metallic luster exotics that I bought from PP in 2008. They are very regular in shape-- nice ovals-- and have subtle pastel colors in diffuse light-- but in brighter light appear mostly silvery. I am thinking of alternating the pearls with some gemstone beads I have but I'll have to see which ones complement the pearls' colors (if any).

I bought palladium silver wire and rhodium-plated sterling silver rolo chain in the hope of avoiding tarnish.

I've been planning this forever but...well, I had to put my cat to sleep yesterday morning and I've been in a funk.
I have to find the motivation again.

Sorry I don't want turn the thread into being about my cat. I'll post about it on Other Stuff.
I am so sorry for your loss...our furry friends are our best companions...unconditional love knows no bounds.

Thank you, I know you understand-- I started the other thread, so let's return here to the topic of "Favorite single strand length! "

Thank you ladies for sharing your insights, I am think of making a gemstone tin cup for a lovely lady, I now have a fair idea on length of the necklace.
PearlDreams your baby is irreplaceable and you can talk about him in any thread you like. Pets are precious.

Back