adhesives & glue solvents

jmd

Hey beaders, I need your help. I favor vintage clasps and fittings from the 60's and 70's, based on weight and the fact most are cast, not stamped and have a more substantial presence. I'll buy vintage findings, then use them with newer pearls. Can anyone tell me the best solvent to use to dissolve old glue? I have situations where it might be a faux pearl that I don't intend to reuse, but would prefer something which I can be sure would not hurt a vintage pearl I might want to reuse in another piece. I'm using Hypo glue but anyone using anything they like better?? Thanks all!!

I asked both my jeweler and my pearl stringer that question, too, and you won't like what they suggested: letting it sit in a glass of very hot water. Apparently, it's a widely used jeweler's hack here.

Last edited:
Hypo glue is fine for where you want a flexible glue - for fixing the ends of silk for example but I would not use it for fixing a pearl to anything. For that I used to use two part epoxy but have now switched to gel superglue and that seems to work fine and is very controllable unlike the liquid superglue.
With glueing the most important thing is to use as little as possible. Glues work by creating a vacuum so the two pieces suck together. Big splodges of glue don't equal more sticking power.
The hot water thing could be working because the pearl and the metal expand at different rates so the adhesion is weakened. Whether it works or not presumably depends on what glue is used. I've encountered some earrings made with glue so weedy* that you could blow hard and the pearl would pop off.

*not, you understand, made by me. I met them on the lines of 'Wendy, can you mend this/replace the pearl that fell off' etc

Superglue of any sort wouldn't be my recommendation. As a class of glue they have some important flaws, not the least being that their shear strength is quite poor. We have all no doubt seen the adverts where one inch glued square is holding a car/truck/heavy object in mid air - what the ads don't show is that a small knock in same plane as the glue will very easily break its bond.

Engineers and machinists exploit this flaw by using super glues to hold metal while it's being milled/turned/machined and then shear it off with a small tap from a hammer.

Super glues also set "hard" unlike epoxies which retain elasticity providing some "give" in the glue joint when bumped.

As cyndaco wrote - hot water is the long standing method for softening glue in jewellery - it's another plus for epoxies in that they soften nicely in hot water - no need for chemicals which can be risky for either the glued item or ourselves.

The only caution with epoxies is avoid the quick setting (5min type) for earrings - the quick setting epoxies when at body temp don't have same strength as the slower setting types.

I'm not sure if I saw this on P-G or a jewelry board, but you can "nuke" findings with a pearl setting in a microwave and loosen the pearl from its mount.

The trick is to submerge the finding under water. I use a half full coffee cup of water in the microwave for 45sec at full power.

You MUST fully submerge the metal finding under water, so even if the water boils the metal is not exposed, microwaves and metal do not mix!

The glue (usually epoxy) turns to gloop. Tip out the finding and twist and prise the pearl off its post.
While the glue is still hot and gloopy it's easy to scrape/pick it away from the pearl and the mount.

If the pearl doesn't come away after 45sec under water in the microwave, give it another 45secs.
In my experience this has never failed, and never harmed the pearl or mount.

After cleaning away the glue residue with a dental pick I like to use 2 pack epoxy to re-attach.
I'm impatient so use the 5min pack, although the 24hr pack gives a stronger bond and more time to get the setting correct and clean up excess glue.

These are amazing tips, can't wait to try them, especially using the microwave!! I have a pair of earrings that someone tried to do a dodgy repair on, and there is glue showing everywhere!! Can't wait to see how this technique will work. Thanks Cydanco, Wendy and Paul. I knew there had to be a quick way, because I saw someone in Manila change a pearl out of a setting and replace it and three minutes flat!! Just didn't see how!

Superglue of any sort wouldn't be my recommendation. As a class of glue they have some important flaws, not the least being that their shear strength is quite poor. We have all no doubt seen the adverts where one inch glued square is holding a car/truck/heavy object in mid air - what the ads don't show is that a small knock in same plane as the glue will very easily break its bond.

Engineers and machinists exploit this flaw by using super glues to hold metal while it's being milled/turned/machined and then shear it off with a small tap from a hammer.

Super glues also set "hard" unlike epoxies which retain elasticity providing some "give" in the glue joint when bumped.

As cyndaco wrote - hot water is the long standing method for softening glue in jewellery - it's another plus for epoxies in that they soften nicely in hot water - no need for chemicals which can be risky for either the glued item or ourselves.

The only caution with epoxies is avoid the quick setting (5min type) for earrings - the quick setting epoxies when at body temp don't have same strength as the slower setting types.

Bernadette you know everything ! lol I'm going to fly down to Melbourne and take a one day pearl course from you !!!!!

Paul..never would have crossed my mind that you could put metal in water and then in the microwave... what a great tip !
Cyndaco....thanks for the safer sounding hot water tip ! lol
Wendy...We all know that there is no way the defective earrings were made with your talented hands!

Last edited:
I have a lot of experience with epoxy. Stuller, the big finding supplier recommends two part epoxy to put studs in half drilled pearls. I use 2 ton devcon available at hardware stores. It comes in twin barrel dispenser for easy use. This epoxy has a working time before too thick of about 10 minutes, Let the piece sit undisturbed overnight for a full bond. Quicker set times means lower strength in epoxy.

Most opinion by several people is that super glues are not desirable for many jewelry uses.

Pure acetone from the hardware store will thin it without causes lower strength, and allow longer work time.

Can we get some brand names for these epoxys please? Some of these products have 4 or 5 different variations as well.

I do have a tube of E6000 which I've never tried - that's a one part epoxy in that it's premixed. I'm looking at something for a 15mm pearl pendant. I never glue anything besides knots so I've no real experience .. I've been reading up on it and so I know in general what to do..but I'm a bit nervous about the glue/epoxy choice...

I like 5 minute Devcon 2-part epoxy best. I find the larger separate containers work best for me, as I do a lot of gluing...economical and less waste than the twin barrel dispensers. I squeeze comparable size blobs next to each other on a small notepad (large post-its would work well, too) and mix with paper clip or slice of cut up plastic (the perfect use for those expired credit cards!). When you are done and/or that spot of glue has set, just rip off the sheet for a new glue palette. Keep a bottle of acetone or nail polish remover and some cotton balls on hand to clean up sticky fingers.

Since epoxies and super glue soften or break down in hot water, don't wear glued jewelry while braising in a hot bath. I learned that the hard way years ago with a glued marcasite ring...

I went off two part epoxy a year ago as we were getting fails - even from the one which comes in two syringes for accurate mix measuring. We've switched very happily to a gel superglue. So far not one adhesion fail and being a gel it is very easy to handle and control. It has a 5 minute set time so there is some wriggle time to manipulate and clean up over-application and I can get remover which is a secret weapon!

A slightly longer drill hole is not a bad thing..you're less likely to get a compressed pocket of air which sllllllllllllooooowly pushes the pearl back off the finding. Anyone else watched as one or two pearls from a whole batch lift themselves? Hydraulics!

A great adhesive in my opinion is Devcon 2 ton expoxy in the twin tubes. With epoxy the longer the set time the stronger the epoxy. I use it to make stud earrings. A small thin needle can be helpful in making sure there are no bubbles, and to get the epoxy where you need it to be. Transparent tape can hold your item in place while gluing.

I've used the imersed in water and microwave idea with success for removal.

Lloyd

Great suggestions everyone ! And a very good tip about the hot water la_corsetiere. It did cross my mind when people were suggesting soaking things in hot water to remove the glue...I wonder how many people have lost the pearls by cleaning the studs in hot water? A good point to bring up to clients !

Wendy I'm going to check out the gel-superglue ! And thanks for the info on the pin .. I was a bit concerned. And Lloyd..I'm getting some Devcon as well....I'll be prepared !

Sorry I can't locate my 2 part epoxy at the moment to check the brand for you. But I know it dried in 5 min, which isn't enough time for me. I do let it dry extra 12 hours or so; then I do test it to see if it is holding solid. Also had lots of waste with the double barrel dispenser as Sheri mentioned. Sometimes my findings are too thin to fit well in the pearl hole. Sounds like your pearl and findihg will fit ok, Katbran. Many thanks for all the tips everyone!

Note the source of microwave pearl removal trick is kiwipaul!

The trick with any glue is to use as little as possible. The glue is there to make a vacuum, so gluing sucks - literally. And that is what holds the pieces together.
Think soldering - you have to have two perfectly aligned surfaces. Solder will not fill holes. You can't just wodge glue in either.
The pin in a pearl setting is there mostly to stop the pearl shearing off a setting, flat or rounded. Otherwise catch the pearl/metal at just the wrong angle and the pearl will simple flip off - the vacuum of adhesion broken.

Has anyone here tried the hot water glue dissolution hack? I just gave it a try on a ring I'm trying to remove pearls from and it did not seem to loosen the glue. Any other suggestions? I'd like to save the pearls.

I've used Attack to remove glued-on pearls. It's a solvent that doesn't hurt the pearls. You have to immerse the jewelry in it and leave it until the glue dissolves.

I'm curious does it matter which type of pearl (Faux versus cultured versus natural?) when putting things in the microwave? I have to give this a try I have a Tahitian Cul. Pearl from my mom that broke off its ring mount and the post has been stuck in the pearl forever. I tried a blow dryer to heat up the glue in the pearl and tried to remove it with a dental pick?no dice.

I'm not sure if I saw this on P-G or a jewelry board, but you can "nuke" findings with a pearl setting in a microwave and loosen the pearl from its mount.

The trick is to submerge the finding under water. I use a half full coffee cup of water in the microwave for 45sec at full power.

You MUST fully submerge the metal finding under water, so even if the water boils the metal is not exposed, microwaves and metal do not mix!

The glue (usually epoxy) turns to gloop. Tip out the finding and twist and prise the pearl off its post.
While the glue is still hot and gloopy it's easy to scrape/pick it away from the pearl and the mount.

If the pearl doesn't come away after 45sec under water in the microwave, give it another 45secs.
In my experience this has never failed, and never harmed the pearl or mount.

After cleaning away the glue residue with a dental pick I like to use 2 pack epoxy to re-attach.
I'm impatient so use the 5min pack, although the 24hr pack gives a stronger bond and more time to get the setting correct and clean up excess glue.

Back