Some questions for Lowly Beaders!

As I said earlier, here are some lowly beadworks.

Attachments

• silver collection.jpg
    silver collection.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 54
  • bracelets.jpg
    bracelets.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 42
Very spiiffy, I like the green bracelet. I also like your displays....

Cheers

Ash

Well, I just got back from my first "beginners" beading class! I made a bracelet and a pair of earrings.

Although clearly not rocket science, I'm sure it will take a while before doing even the basic things...making the eye loop, crimping properly, etc etc will be second nature to me. In fact I wonder if I can do it again without having an instructor hovering over me! Hmm...

After the class (I was the only student) I went back to the bead store intending to buy all the tools and acoutrements recommended, and select some beads to try to do another piece at home.

Well, I ended up getting so overwhelmed by the choices...and not knowing if I should select individual ones or one of those 'strings'..that I almost started to cry, and ran outta there empty handed!:rolleyes:

I'll go back tomorrow hopefully more composed.:p

I can tell already that I favor the teeny delicate ones...be they beads or seed pearls and that for bracelets, anyway, attractive clasps/toggles will be important to me.

One question: For my first project, they recommended "Softflex" for stringing. Do you agree? Is it ok to string pearls with this stuff?

Thanks!
widget

Hi Bogus,

Congratulations on your first beading project. As you know it si not rocket scince but depending on where you wnat to take the beading it can get pretty time consuming.

First off do not let the beading shop bully you into their usually over priced stuff. if ther is a hobby lobby, michaels or even a major chain fabric store such as Joanne's, Fields, Handcock or whatever the big chains are arround your area.. Often have cupons up to 40% off and I use them to get the "packet" ofvarious beading pliers at first. and then get the crimper with the next cupon etc..... I have been give some of the better quality pliers and I have notices no difference in the performance between them ... only that the Plastic coating handles do not tear on the more expensinve one as easily, and they may not tarnish as fast either...

that is only my opininion... but beding cnaget very expensive a hobby very quickly so I look for real deals where I can find them!

as far as the little beads.. I do not go any smalelr than 11/0's even though you can go to size 15 that is pretty small.. there are many brands out and types as well.. some of the absolute best are the japanese seed beads but the get really pricey for just a few.. IMO to get more bang for a buck get the Hanks... check out Shipwreck beads and Fire mountain gems. for starters sometimes you can get discounts for buying in bulk...

Ther are a dozen or more books about using seed beads from weaving to this and that stuff... also many places on the web offer free patterns for use.

Before you know it you will have several binders full of pattens and a portfolio of stuff you have just cranked out! I also like Gerdany( ukranian beadwork. Maria rypan of rypan designs is a site to check that out. It combines some easy stuff with more complex looking pieces.. athat are all freehand.

Beadwarehouse, and ther is a bead museum in AZ that may also be able to help you with beading.... check out what your local library may have on beading..... I feel like I am beaing cheap here by not giving you book names.. but I hope you do dabble in this and that and checking books out from the library and free websites are teh best way to fins out what you relaly like and do not like....

For the Softflex.. it is a wire and could possibly "cut" your pearls over time weakening them from the inside and you may loose them.. I would not touch the stuff.. but for beading swarofski crystals and glass beads definately!

To string your pearls use Silk or Nymo threads and I wax my nymo... Although honestly Silk is best, beacsue it is a natural fiber. and waers teh best withthe pearls... but that is MHO

Hope some of this helped.

If you have any questions please feel free to ask! I am a beading junkie and love to share!

Cheers

Ash

Hi bogus
Go ahead and learn to use softflex and to crimp. It is useful for many bead projects and makes a good strong necklace and is especially good for bracelets. I don't worry about commercial grade pearls and the softflex, but choose the thread, string, wire, or fishline according to what I have and/or what I want to use.

The same store where you took the first class may have one on knotting. Take it when you are ready.

Oooooh, look at this bump for a look into the earliest days of Pearl Guide, and its humorous and disengenuous Charactors, and the genuine. Plus - pretty creations!

Back