Stringing Tutorial with photos: Stringing on Serafil, Beaders Secret & Power Pro

Gold filled clasps and sterling silver are less expensive and durable.
Rio Grande and Bella findings are a few places you can look.

I just received an orbit clasp from RioGrande. It's so small! I'm having trouble figuring what size clasp to order. I got the 23mm one and thought that would be big enough but I think its going to be too small for my ripples. Ug so what size to do order for larger pearls?

Thanks a lot I will have to use the advices for some work to come:

s-l1600-1.jpg
891a0592-8d81-4f15-9510-e41a4993f094.jpg

Last edited:
We are having a Nor'easter today-- I'm stuck indoors while it snows!

I decided to use the afternoon to restring my 7.5-8.5mm and 8.5-9.5mm Exotics from the February 2008 PP private offer. I found that I was no longer wearing them as individual strands, so I decided to make a 2-strand necklace. The larger strand is peachier, the smaller more silvery, and together they are more colorful than either by itself.

I used "Shell" Serafil from Pattye's shop. For the smaller strand I only knotted between the end 4 pearls.
The clasp is this rhodium-plated sterling silver 2-strand oval push clasp (orbit) from Rio:

https://www.riogrande.com/product/sterling-silver-rhodium-plated-oval-push-clasp-2-strand/614640

I'm really happy with the result!
I especially like breathing new life into old pieces, which IMO is one of the best reasons for people to learn to string.

2 strand oval:drop PP exotics from 2008 forum.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Pattye! :)

I tried everything with that smaller strand-- on wire unknotted, on thread knotted, with faceted gemstones instead of knots, tin cup....
It only took 10 years for me to get it right. :p

Pearl Dreams, when you get it right ... you get it RIGHT! That's a really beautiful necklace :)

Thanks! :)
The lower strand is 1 inch longer than the upper strand. I strung the lower strand first, then made sure the upper strand wasn't too long to nest before attaching it to the clasp. That way I could leave off the last pearl, if necessary (but it wasn't necessary.)

And boy, am I ready for spring, JerseyPearl! My H and I just spent a wretched hour and a half clearing the driveway. We got about 14" .
The snowblower wheels kept getting bogged down and the chute clogged, the snow was so wet and heavy. How did you fare in NJ?

And boy, am I ready for spring, JerseyPearl! My H and I just spent a wretched hour and a half clearing the driveway. We got about 14" .
The snowblower wheels kept getting bogged down and the chute clogged, the snow was so wet and heavy. How did you fare in NJ?

Here at the shore, we had only a couple of inches...and it's almost all gone with the sunshine today. We fared very well here, although only a short distance inland they got over a foot! We did have a round of thunder snow, which is always so scary.

I like little Easter eggs. :)

Today I restrung my near-round Tahitians on Teal Serafil from Pattye's shop (previously I used Night.) Photos tomorrow.

Last edited:
The teal thread looks great indoors where the light is diffuse and the pearls' overtones show up well.

On the other hand, when the pearls are in bright light (just inside my front door) the teal color stands out.
I'm not sure about this; I may go back to using Night (or maybe Navy). I'll wear them for a while and see how I feel about it.

Just want to point out also how much Tahitian overtones are affected by light! These pearls look different in every room of our house, and even in different parts of rooms. I walked around with them in a white box today observing how the appearance changed depending on the light.

Attachments

• Near-round Tahitians with Teal Beaders Secret small.jpeg
    Near-round Tahitians with Teal Beaders Secret small.jpeg
    74.5 KB · Views: 60
  • Teal thread stands out in bright light.jpg
    Teal thread stands out in bright light.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
PDs, I love the teal with those tahitians. A nice pop of color! And to your point on lighting, just look at the color of your sweater too. I posted a video a while back on my Instagram feed that shows me holding a card of Tahitian pearls and walking into different rooms with different lighting...overhead LED to natural daylight. It is always amazing to me how beautiful these pearls and how they can color change in different lighting.

Back