Stringing Tutorial with photos: Stringing on Serafil, Beaders Secret & Power Pro

That is a great question, SueBee. And pattye's response is spot on! I find that Tahitians are usually drilled between .8-1.0mm. My preference is to drill the smallest hole possible, but some larger pearls are better balanced on thicker thread (I use Beader's Secret exclusively). I have drilled pearls up to 2.5mm so they can be placed onto a setting, or threaded through cord.

Cant add anything new to this as Jersey Pearl and and Pattye have covered it . I'd just reaffirm that if they are little pearls then .7 is fine and by little I mean up to 8mm .. after that I tend to use .9 on almost everything . I've found lots of findings for smaller pearls have pins that are around .6 .7 so you wouldn't want the hole much bigger.

Wow...will have to set aside some time to go thru this thread...Amazing detail.

Thanks!

I just placed my first order with Pattye. My sister is coming to visit in a few weeks and we are taking a stringing class at a local bead shop. I wasn't sure which color BS to order for my Tahitians so I got forest green. Does that sound right? I ordered ivory for my akoyas and FWP. I really need something to do other than lesson plans each week! I hope I catch on quickly!

I used Ivory for some vintage akoyas recently. I've also bought Teal to restring my Tahitians the next time they need it.

Several epoxy glues are sold for "crystal" sticking, but even if some industrial epoxy resins are now UV resistant, I have not found any in sticking packaging. So I keep care: there's no technical notices saying that crystal epoxy glues are UV resistant, to stay really colourless after a long time.
Edit : After searching, I have found that araldit 2028-1 is a colourless and UV resistant glue, but it's a polyurethane resin, not epoxy (wich theorically would not get any problems, just to try contact with pearls first, because some glues' composition solvents kill them, as in UV gluing adhesives for glass).

Last edited:
Hello Eric, The Araldite I use and mentioned is a different product to this 2028-1 which appears to be aimed more at industrial applications.

The araldite clear (ultra) is an epoxy, and has very good characteristics for gluing pearls.

Australia Is well known for its harsh sun and Australians are not shy in wearing there jewellery in all sorts of conditions - I haven't yet seen an issue from araldite affected by UV - other glues yes.

Maybe clear araldite ( or other colourless epoxy) is less sensitive to UV, but it's the generic problem of epoxy resins, and if the producer don't certify, technically, that it's not sensitive to UV, I can't tell more than him. Epoxy can take several years to turn yellow, but, anyway, less time than the usual one of pearls'life.
About sticking, epoxy glue is the best, but I can provide you that general consumer epoxy supply is very far from right level of performances.

OMGGGG....Scratching my head...planning to string my tahitian strand...this look complicated...needs to buy tools n reread everything...I dont even know what gimp is...

Gimp is French wire. It's a very tiny coil of metal, like a long snakey tube or a Slinky toy. You can cut gimp to length, like 5 mm and thread it onto your beading thread. It bends, so you can thread the gimp and the thread through the loop of the clasp. It keeps the thread from being abraded, like a little suit of armor. It comes in different colors (silver, gold, etc.) so you can match the metal in your clasp.

You don't need tools asurazzy! Not if you use a slippery beading thread like Serafil or BS. The knot will end up where it belongs when you pull the 2 threads apart.

You need beading thread and a flexible wire needle, and something to cut the thread with (a box cutter, even.) Most of us use gimp as well for a nice professional looking finish and to protect the thread where it meets the clasp, but technically you don't need it.

I use other tools like a magnifier (my eyes are not what they used to be), a Thread Zap (but a box cutter will do), tweezers (if using a less slippery thread like Power Pro) but you don't need them.

Photos:
• gimp in my box
• a piece of gimp (I use cuticle trimmers to cut off a piece)
• gimp when it's been pulled snugly at the clasp

Attachments

• Stringing tutorial 3- Gimp in box.jpg
    Stringing tutorial 3- Gimp in box.jpg
    161.2 KB · Views: 30
  • Stringing tutorial 4- Gimp piece on finger.jpg
    Stringing tutorial 4- Gimp piece on finger.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 40
  • Stringing tutorial 10-  The gimp fully tightened, clasp attached.jpg
    Stringing tutorial 10- The gimp fully tightened, clasp attached.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
Where do you purchase your clasps for your strands? I've ordered an "orbit" clasp from RIoGrande. But I'm looking for good quality clasps that don't break the bank...that way I can spend more on the pearls themselves!

Back