Stringing Tutorial with photos: Stringing on Serafil, Beaders Secret & Power Pro

Thanks for all the info ..I'm not sure how I missed most or all of this thread ! I use the bumpers with fine wire to try out a design but never thought to just use them with thread on a finished piece. I wonder how noticeable it would be to put a knot in about every 5 pearls to help prevent a pearl explosion if the thread breaks. And, whether the bumpers would also then prevent the tightening of the knots that create looseness .

This thread has the best advice. You would think we had covered it all, and then there are nuances, such as bumpers being used to shorten a necklace. Good things to know before starting a project. :)

Lenticular is one of my favorite words!

Ladies - I need some advise/help here.

So I've only started stringing pearls recently, and woof my hands/fingers are just furious at me! I like my knots tight as I dislike my pearls "swimming" between the knots, so I pull the string pretty tight. As I do tool-less stringing a la Caitlin's youtube style, I split-pull the threads.

I tried putting on bandaid but that didn't really help as it made it a bit harder to grip the thread. Does anyone have any tips/recs on what to do, except for just growing some callouses? Any specific type of bandaid or whatever else that may help? Thanks in advance!

I guess I have tough old lady hands...but try sports tape...like the kind you use in field hockey and lacrosse. And I see now that the link posted is the exact same product I am talking about. You might be able to find it in a sports store as well.

Here's something I like a lot, for any crafts using strong threads or wires. Dritz Leather Thimble, runs around $6 - $7. US, available online and at craft/fabric/quilt shops, Jo-Ann's etc. Soft, thin, flexible leather protects your finger, elastic back to hold it in place. There are other brands, but you want the cheap, soft and thin one such as the Dritz. the more you use it, the softer it gets, and I've never managed to put a hole in mine after years of use. I need some of Pattye's tape too!

Dritz Leather Thimble.jpg

I get Self-Adherent Wrap tape (flexible bandage) at Walgreens. (same principal as above, but Latex Free).

Edit 5/30/22: I'm adding an updated link to Lloydsjewelry's more recent video:

How to Hand tie a Pearl necklace no tools Japanese Method​

Last edited:
Pattye, my thimble is worn, discolored and rather old ... a bit like me, actually :) It gets softer and softer with use, and the price is unbeatable even if you only use it occasionally. I got mine many years ago, for making wire wrapped silk ribbon roses ... the wire would just cut long grooves into my fingers. Hmmm maybe this is why my hands don't work so well these days LOL ... But I like the sound of that tape you sell ... I think I want to try that too!

This is my public service announcement to encourage everyone who has necklaces they are not wearing because they are a little bit too long to restring them!

I restrung my metallic white FW pearls last week. At 18.25" they were a little too long for most of my winter necklines, and many of my summer necklines. I found I wasn't wearing them often, but I really like them and wanted to wear them more! I also wanted to rearrange them a little to put more of the larger and more lustrous pearls in front and to move one less-lustrous pearl toward the back.

The drill holes were smaller than most other pearls I have strung. Serafil [name updated] from Pattye's shop was not passing through the end pearls when back-knotting, even with a fine needle; the roughness of the twisted wire needle was shredding the thread. I had to decide between reaming out the end pearls or using 20# Power Pro. I prefer not to enlarge drill holes if I don't have to, so I went with the Power Pro, which passed easily. I left out one pearl that was stubbornly clogged with glue.

With the thinner thread producing smaller knots, my necklace ended up 17" long. (I would post a photo but my H has the camera at work today.)

I've worn it more times in the past week than I did the entire previous year. Since I like to pair this necklace with matching metallic white studs, I am getting more use out of them, too. More is better!

Serafil or Beaders Secret is great, but if you have a lot of white pearls, it's not a bad idea to have some Power Pro on hand as well. It's good to have options.

Last edited:
Pearl Dreams, I believe that pattye offers Beader's Secret in 3 different sizes. The thinnest works well on pearls with tiny drill holes and with small gemstone beads. The regular is great for most pearl projects, and the thickest is wonderful for heavier pearls with larger drill holes. Not every color comes in the different sizes, but it's nice to add a touch of color sometimes.

And to your point on the different stringing lengths...you can manipulate the size of the knots as well by using different types of knots.

Last edited:
Thank you for pointing out that Pattye has the finer thread as well. I had lots of Power Pro on hand, however, and the break strength of 20# Power Pro is twice that of the finest Serafil or Beaders Secret, which breaks at 10#. I think for white, and moss green I prefer having the greater strength of Power Pro. But if I ever need other colors than white or green, then yes, I would try the finer Serafil / BS.

I have made larger knots where necessary, but I like to make the smallest knots necessary for the holes; to me they just look better that way. :)

Last edited:
Serafil [name change] thread sizes

Serafil [name change] thread sizes

Hi to all the Beaders, Knotters, Stringers, Pearly Friends,

Thought it might be good to add some info here ~ helpful to have all in one place about Beader's Secret thread. Things like size, strength, diameter and a few tips.

It is currently offered in 4 sizes (3 listed in my Etsy store, and soon the 4th size, very heavy #10 will be added.)

Originally the only size offered was #30, which when used doubled, fits the drill holes of most pearls. It gives the classic look, that of a small, discrete knot which blocks the hole without pulling inside, yet allows the strand flexibility. This most popular size #30 is offered in over 50 colors. The other sizes are available in about half as many colors, but pretty much all the basic neutral shades and some brights.

Break strengths and diameters are provided by the commercial company; knot sizes measured by me and can, of course, vary slightly. Sorry, I couldn't get this chart to format directly on the page; it kept running the info together, so had to take a pic.

A way to check the size of thread with the pearl hole: Pull out about 2 feet of thread from the spool, but don't cut. Put the needle on and double the thread. Run the needle and thread through the end holes and back to make sure 4 threads will fit; tie a knot to check for fit if you think knot will be too small.

If the hole seems just a tad too large, you may need to work with 3-size #30 threads, or 4-#40 threads (2 doubled lengths). Either of those options make a tidy, smooth knot. Yes, I recommend you pull each thread; it does take a bit longer, but it's worth it. Sometimes we have to get creative!

BordaJuly2008 2aSmall

You may want to check out Pricescope, where 3 years ago we had a detailed discussion about using 3 and multiple threads.

I recently restrung a pearl necklace that had been knotted with 6 strands of fine thread (12 when finishing the clasp)!

Last edited:
Back