Stringing Tutorial with photos: Stringing on Serafil, Beaders Secret & Power Pro

The layering on the two strands makes for a pretty grand look! I think both colored threads look nice, but the navy is definitely more subtle. But of course, I believe my bluish T strand thread is teal, so I'm a bit biased. lol. And I agree being able to string your own pearls is really a wonderful skill and I also find it a bit therapeutic, but only when I don't have any mistakes. ;)

I don't know why I didn't realize this before but here is the best way to hide the tail of the thread when starting the strand. I have edited the early posts in this thread to reflect this new way.

Make a loose large knot and string on 4 pearls (not just 3) in reverse order. Use a clip of some sort to leave about 2-3" between the knot and the first pearl strung on. The idea is to keep the first few pearls from falling off the end of the thread, but you want to have a tail long enough that you can grasp easily when you are ready to trim it off.

After stringing on the gimp and the clasp, back-knot through the first 3 pearls only.

Put the needle through the 4th pearl but don't make a knot yet.

Trim off the tail very close to the 4th pearl, being careful not to cut the thread that has the needle attached. The tail will be concealed in the 4th pearl.

Now make a knot, then add the 5th pearl and carry on with the rest of the necklace.

This eliminates having an unsightly trimmed knot visible.

If you have knotted snugly between the end pearls this way you should not need to use glue.

Last edited:
Glad you like it Katbran! I tested this when restringing my Tahitians with Navy thread and I really like the look better. It's just tidier.

Happy you posted this, PD, thank you! At some point I started loading 4 pearls, knotting back through 3 and pulling the tail through the 4th pearl, just like you! If the thread doesn't fit tightly, a tiny dab of glue will help hold it.

If one has a difficult time getting the needle through the hole, take a fine straight pin and poke it in from either end of the pearl to open up a channel. So far this has saved the day for me multiple times when finishing a strand.

Thanks PD & Pattye. This is exactly the method I use too. Although I confess I use a tiny bit of glue to ensure the thread doesn’t slip out at some point.

I tested #3 Stringth today. See this post for the photos and results:

TL;DR #3 Stringth is considerably thicker, stiffer, and rougher than Beaders Secret-- thicker even than 50# Power Pro-- and knots form where you don't want them to, if you don't use tools to place the knot. It doesn't drape as nicely as BS. And it comes in fewer useful colors.

Serafil or Beaders Secret is still preferable for knotting pearls, IMO. That said, I only tested the #3 size-- I expect I will order the #1 thickness soon, just to know.

Last edited:
I have a question, I am seeing from the tutorial that after you initially loop back through the first few pearls you continue making knots using only one strand (the strand the pearls are on) rather than continuing to knot AROUND the pearl strand with the additional strand. I have always knotted in the past using the two separate strands, basically just never trimming them. Is it just a matter of preference or is my way actually incorrect?
I am currently having trouble because my knots are winding up so tiny they are slipping inside the pearls and that is with the two strands. Working with just one strand would not work. But working with a doubled strand (still in a single row, not working with two doubled strands) makes it too thick to fit back through. Should I try a size up in threads or is there something else I am doing wrong? I hope this makes sense. It is very hard to describe.

I have a question, I am seeing from the tutorial that after you initially loop back through the first few pearls you continue making knots using only one strand (the strand the pearls are on) rather than continuing to knot AROUND the pearl strand with the additional strand. I have always knotted in the past using the two separate strands, basically just never trimming them. Is it just a matter of preference or is my way actually incorrect?

Maybe I wasn't clear. I trim only the original tail off and continue stringing with 2 strands.

I am currently having trouble because my knots are winding up so tiny they are slipping inside the pearls and that is with the two strands. Working with just one strand would not work. But working with a doubled strand (still in a single row, not working with two doubled strands) makes it too thick to fit back through. Should I try a size up in threads or is there something else I am doing wrong? I hope this makes sense. It is very hard to describe.

I do understand. I work with doubled strands, but if the knots are still too small, there are several things you can do.

1. Use a thicker thread. I use Serafil or Beaders Secret, which comes in a heavier size (and also a finer size).

2. Make a jeweler's knot. This involves passing the needle through the overhand knot a second time before tightening it. It makes a slightly larger knot. This is a bit tricky because it is not enough to just pull the threads apart to seat the knot-- in my experience if I do that, the knot may end up in the wrong place, even with Serafil or Beader's Secret. What I do is this: I use an awl to guide the loose knot very close to where I want it, tighten it to make it small, then with the awl still in the knot to keep it open, I pass the needle through the overhand knot a second time. Then I I tighten it again, pulling the awl out at the last moment-- then I pull the 2 threads apart to tighten the knot fully.

3. Pattye has a method she uses whereby she has a 3rd thread that runs through all the pearls, which she knots around. She describes this somewhere in this thread, I think. I have not tried this.
Edit 1/17/24 I found where Pattye discusses using 3 strands. See post #42 and following. It's on Pricescope.

Last edited:
Maybe I wasn't clear. I trim only the original tail off and continue stringing with 2 strands.

I do understand. I work with doubled strands, but if the knots are still too small, there are several things you can do.

1. Use a thicker thread. I use Beaders Secret, which comes in a heavier size (and also a finer size).

2. Make a jeweler's knot. This involves passing the needle through the overhand knot a second time before tightening it. It makes a slightly larger knot. This is a bit tricky because it is not enough to just pull the threads apart to seat the knot-- in my experience if I do that, the knot may end up in the wrong place, even with Beader's Secret. What I do is this: I use an awl to guide the loose knot very close to where I want it, tighten it to make it small, then with the awl still in the knot to keep it open, I pass the needle through the overhand knot a second time. Then I I tighten it again, pulling the awl out at the last moment-- then I pull the 2 threads apart to tighten the knot fully.

3. Pattye has a method she uses whereby she has a 3rd thread that runs through all the pearls, which she knots around. She describes this somewhere in this thread, I think. I have not tried this.
Thank you for responding! I think this is a dumb question but....where is the tail coming from then? I know obviously where the tail at the end is from but I do not have a tail when I start off so that confuses me. I have one strand with pearls on it and one strand with a needle on it and the needle strand knots around the pearl strand. So I have no tail?
I am going to experiment tonight again and I will try the jewelers knot, I think I may need to just order a size up of both the sizes thread I got. I seem to have miscalculated how tiny the holes actually are. Thank you again for the advice. It is wonderful to have this resource. In the past I have been on my own with stringing and consulting google!

Ah, we are not doing the same thing at all.

I thread one long thread on a needle and double it, making a large knot to keep the pearls from sliding off. That is how I have 2 strands-- because it's doubled thread.
1. I string on 4 pearls without knotting, and slide them down almost as far as the large knot. (It's easier to trim the knot end later if the pearls don't go all the way to the knot; you want a few inches to grab and hold while you trim it.)
2. I string on the gimp, and the clasp, and slide them down to where the pearls are.
3. Then I double back through the pearl that was last to be strung on, which now becomes the pearl that is next to the clasp. I snug up the gimp with the clasp centered in it.
4. I make overhand knots between the first and 2nd pearl, between the 2nd and 3rd pearl, and between the 3rd and 4th pearl. Because these pearls are already on a doubled thread, the overhand knot is made over that thread. These end-pearl knots will thus be somewhat larger than knots made later.
I seat and tighten the knot by pulling the 2 threads apart.
5. When I get to the 4th pearl, I pass the needle through it but don't make a knot just yet. I cut off the tail with the big initial knot, thus hiding the tail in the 4th pearl. Then I make an overhand knot and carry on, making a knot after each pearl.
6. When I get to the last 4 pearls, I string them all on without knotting. String on the gimp, the clasp, and back through the end pearl, snugging up the thread and the gimp.
7. Make a knot between each of the end 3 pearls again.
8. Pass the thread through the 4th pearl from the end, do not knot this time-- just cut off the thread.

Is is clear?

Last edited:
Ah, we are not doing the same thing at all.

I thread one long thread on a needle and double it, making a large knot to keep the pearls from sliding off. That is how I have 2 strands-- because it's doubled thread.
1. I string on 4 pearls without knotting, and slide them down almost as far as the large knot. (It's easier to trim the knot end later if the pearls don't go all the way to the knot; you want a few inches to grab and hold while you trim it.)
2. I string on the gimp, and the clasp, and slide them down to where the pearls are.
3. Then I double back through the pearl that was last to be strung on, which now becomes the pearl that is next to the clasp. I snug up the gimp with the clasp centered in it.
4. I make overhand knots between the first and 2nd pearl, between the 2nd and 3rd pearl, and between the 3rd and 4th pearl. Because these pearls are already on a doubled thread, the overhand knot is made over that thread. These end-pearl knots will thus be somewhat larger than knots made later.
I seat and tighten the knot by pulling the 2 threads apart.
5. When I get to the 4th pearl, I pass the needle through it but don't make a knot just yet. I cut off the tail with the big initial knot, thus hiding the tail in the 4th pearl. Then I make an overhand knot and carry on, making a knot after each pearl.
6. When I get to the last 4 pearls, I string them all on without knotting. String on the gimp, the clasp, and back through the end pearl, snuging up the thread and the gimp.
7. Make a knot between each of the end 3 pearls again.
8. Pass the thread through the 4th pearl from the end, do not knot this time-- just cut off the thread.

Is is clear?
Ok, that is very different from what I have done! i"m very glad you cleared that up. I will sit down tonight when I am not being mobbed by tiny people and experiment with your instructions and my supplies. Thank you SO much for helping with this!

There are so many different ways to string pearls...the best way is the one you are most comfortable using! I do find that different applications call for different techniques. For instance, I am currently stringing a multi strand bracelet (9 strands on either side of a centerpiece) of super tiny pearls. I am basically using PD's method, however, I am stringing on all the pearls and not just the last four. I am also knotting only the end pearls. You can also use a variety of different knots to take up space so the knots don't end up in larger drill holes. Sometimes this is necessary if you are stringing different sizes of pearls together. Typically, pearls are drilled between 0.5mm-1.2mm for knotted strands. Different stringing materials, like linen or leather require larger drill holes.

There are so many different ways to string pearls...the best way is the one you are most comfortable using! I do find that different applications call for different techniques. For instance, I am currently stringing a multi strand bracelet (9 strands on either side of a centerpiece) of super tiny pearls. I am basically using PD's method, however, I am stringing on all the pearls and not just the last four. I am also knotting only the end pearls. You can also use a variety of different knots to take up space so the knots don't end up in larger drill holes. Sometimes this is necessary if you are stringing different sizes of pearls together. Typically, pearls are drilled between 0.5mm-1.2mm for knotted strands. Different stringing materials, like linen or leather require larger drill holes.
I hope this is not too far off topic to ask you where do you get the tiny (or even just really small) pearls? I am considering a necklace idea and no idea of a reputable place to get tiny fwp. Thank you!

Back