Variations on a theme

Caitlin

The theme is alternating bigger pearls with small pearls or other gemstones, especially roundels.
The top necklace is black dyed CFW pearl with alternating nuggets of quartz crystal.
The second is 4mm button pearls and aquamarine.
The third is 4mm button and labradorite
The fourth necklaca is 9mm buttons with alternating faceted peridot 9mm roundels
The fifth from the top is 9mm buttons with rose quartz wheels
The bottom necklace is another example of the 10mm black dyed CFWP alternating with 4-5mm nuggets.

I also made alternting 8mm button and faceted amethyst roundels, but am out of them and also 8mm button and faceted garnet roundells

Attachments

• pearl patternscropped 008.jpg
    pearl patternscropped 008.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 39
Hi Caitlin! I especially like the aquamarine and pearl necklace. You didn't knot them, did you? It doesn't look like you did.

Hi Pearltime,
You are correct. Those are not knotted. The knots add a space between the beads. In these styles, the extra space looks wrong.

I switched to Softflex and crimp beads to string most beads now. I use ss french wire and ss crimp bead covers for a finished look. And for most necklaces I sell. As I said, I am a (lowly!:p ) beader.... Like my lumpy pearls, my stringing methods are not used by the bigtime online sellers who hang out here.

Pearls of 4mm and less are usually not knotted in any case. Actually it is a pain in the neck to knot 4mm and less

That having been said, stringing with Softflex is fast and strong. It is the standard stringing material for working women's fashion styles in the one to one kind of selling I do. It is also a good way to string beads when you are trying out combinations because it is fast and allows you to wear the necklace for awhile. I am a chronic restringer and will restring until I like it and that only happens a few times when you knotted the whole thing.

If someone wants certain necklaces knotted, I will knot them......

Hi Cailtyn,

So we form the Lowly Beaders Club! I agree with you about the 4 mm size the knots appear to be half teh size of the pearl even though that is not the case, and it looks funny!

Hi Caitlin,
I agree with Pearltime. The aquamarine looks great with the pearls. The necklace is very feminine!

You guys are the perfect ones to answer this. I saw a beautiful pearl necklace with gold beads instead of knots between the pearls. But, does the gold bead wear against the pearl and damage it over time?

I would prefer to see seamless beads between pearls which of course are more expensive. What kind of pearls are they? A cheaper variety of metal beads are seamless-look, but they still have a seam. Seams do pop open, then I would be afraid of scratching. If they are expensive pearls, I would go for the seamless.

xeresana said:
You guys are the perfect ones to answer this. I saw a beautiful pearl necklace with gold beads instead of knots between the pearls. But, does the gold bead wear against the pearl and damage it over time?

Eventually Yes they will wear the pearls over time. That is one of the purposes for knots!

Many people however still thnk that fresh waters are "poorer quality" ( obviously not exposed to the great quality Freshies from sites on this list!) Anyway I know of many who still think and treat it that way I also know many a beader who do not know how to treat pearls either. it has become an expensive bead. Yes they "know" its a pearl but treat it as any other "bead" on the string Odd thoguth process but I have seen it time and time again in my knottong classes.. and its amazing how BIG the eyes get when you bring up the knotting and loosing pearls Mix in some famous pearls in history and handing down pieces to great grand kids etc....

Depends on the beads too. Like the 21k gold Drusy Designs uses is probably too soft to mark the pearls.

Of course some of the priciest pearls around are mabelswined with platinum/diamond rondells and nobody complains about the rubbing, but platinum is very hard compared to gold so it must rub......

Back