finishing stretch bracelets

pearlescence

purveyor of pearls UK/EU
Hi all
I've been playing around with stretch bracelets this weekend (having made a trio for my mother for Mothering Sunday, which started it off)..but I'm not really happy with simply knotting the stretch thread.
I tried crimps which certainly didn't work (sliced straight through! start again!) but a big triple knot for security seems a bit kack-handed and amateur, while anything less seems to undo itself, even with a dab of glue.
any suggestions?

You have more advantage than me in that you can drill your pearls. One option is to drill one side of the end pearl next to the knot to make bigger hole so you can tuck the knot in. I use square knot and dab glue. Magic something...I ran out and do not have a bottle, but I've posted it and its picture from amazon.com in another thread... maybe 2 years ago?

Cathy, it worked perfectly. I half drilled to 1.5 mm, triple overhand knotted then hauled on the side away from the knot and it squeezed into the big hole - walloped in a large dollop of hypo cement hopefully to keep it there..Thanks much
And you can enlarge holes without a pearl drill. for small one off jobs like this on one or two pearls it is too much trouble to set up the pearl drill, we all use my old 'putting up shelves' ordinary household drill. I keep meaning to get one of the new lightweight battery micro drills but this old one works so there is always something else to spend the ? on

Last edited:
I am glad it worked for you. Like Katbran suggested, I've also used gold laser beads as spacers between pearls and tucked the knot inside the beads.

Attachments

• China Pearls&Jewelry City and Yida's factory
    China Pearls&Jewelry City and Yida's factory
    43.6 KB · Views: 38
Cathy- I agree, that bracelet is insanely pearlicious!!! The COLORS!!! Where are the pearls and beads from? Wowzer...

That incredible bracelet is on elastic? It is the single most beautiful Tahitian bracelet I have ever seen! This is a design winner. I can hardly wait to see more.

Where are the pearls and beads from?

The picture was photoshopped so colors are more vibrant than real life. I bought it in 2009 from Tahiti Pearl Market, now renamed as Margo Pearl in Honolulu, Hawaii. It was too big and they removed a few pearls. The gold beads are from bellafindings.com. One of my "love at first sight" pearls. This is the picture I took when I was there (colors are closer to real life):

Attachments

• good luster strands(white, orange, purple)
    good luster strands(white, orange, purple)
    81.4 KB · Views: 40
That incredible bracelet is on elastic? It is the single most beautiful Tahitian bracelet I have ever seen! This is a design winner. I can hardly wait to see more.

Yeah, more please! I would add: If there is a story behind it, we want to know it :D

I use square knot and dab glue. Magic something...I ran out and do not have a bottle, but I've posted it and its picture from amazon.com in another thread... maybe 2 years ago?

It's call Zap-A-Gap http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000O5GXY8

http://www.supergluecorp.com/zap/zap-glues/zap-gap

I mentioned it here https://www.pearl-guide.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3643&page=1&highlight=magic

I've taken it apart so many times. They are knotted every two pearls now. All my stretch bracelets are knotted in case the elastic snaps.

Attachments

• huge klonks
    huge klonks
    54.5 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
Cathy,

That is an amazing bracelet with the most amazing colors!

Back