Ordered SSP for tin cup bracelet—would love advice on making it

multichrome

Between seeing VP Harris’s white SSP and StarryPearl’s long strand, I’ve been bitten by the white SSP bug. I just ordered a few loose 11-12 mm circled ones to make a tin cup bracelet with—vendor pic of similar pearls is below. I know I need chain, wire, and a clasp. I am thinking I’d like yellow gold rather than white gold or sterling. Can any of you advise me on what width and style of chain to buy? Gold or gold-filled flat cable would seem the simplest if it’s sturdy enough to suspend the wire wrapped pearls in a graceful way. Here’s some 1.4mm gold-filled flat cable that I’m considering, if it’s substantial enough.

I’m thinking of making an S clasp but I would want it to be secure. Once I’ve decided on chain, then it will be easier to know what clasp to get.

If you can point me to any tutorials, that would be great, too. I have good quality wire, good tools, and I know how to wire wrap beads fairly well. I just never have attempted the much-desired tin cup.

Thanks for reading!

A5AADB0E-295E-4502-A210-AED2C40ACF83.jpeg

FD6079B5-C310-404A-AA4D-2C9A39E80A7B.jpeg

Very nice SSP selection there! And the photo layout is very nice...on top of that black-lip shell with the Mabe in it...very nice! I would love to see the finished piece and you could post photos of your process!

Excellent project idea! I would suggest that you would want to keep the wire gauge fairly consistent with the link on the chain. For instance, I typically use a 1.75-2.25mm solid cable chain with 24g wire. Since your pearls are a nice, larger size, you could even go with 22g wire. I highly recommend ordering a few small samples of chain (Rio Grande sells most of theirs by the inch) in gold fill or sterling to see which look you prefer with your wire gauge. What you don't want is to use a wire that is too thick to go through your chain's links or through the pearls drill holes. For instance, most 1mm cable chain is too small to work with 24g wire. Do post photos of your project when it's done!

Very nice SSP selection there! And the photo layout is very nice...on top of that black-lip shell with the Mabe in it...very nice! I would love to see the finished piece and you could post photos of your process!

Thank you, Douglas. I hope the ones I receive are of similar shape and luster. The reviews of the vendor, Continental Pearls, are good. I can’t take credit for the photo; it is from their Etsy shop. I decided to let them choose whether the pearls are white or more on the cream side of things. I’m ok with serendipity in this case. I have some fun decisions to make and I’ll be glad to share the process!

JerseyPearl, that is all excellent advice. I do like to mock up designs, especially before I execute them in precious metal wire. (I learned that the hard way!) Buying sample chain from Rio Grande is a fab idea, as is making sure the wire gauge I use for the wraps works with the chain width. (I’ve asked for the pearls to be full drilled with 1mm holes.) I’ve purchased orbit clasps from RG before, so I have an account. I’m very excited about the project. I never thought a lot about SSP before, but I got heart-eyes when I saw white circled ones for the first time. Thank you again to you and Douglas for your enthusiasm and encouragement!

Here’s a view of my Tahitian bracelet I made with Argentium (935 silver alloyed with Germanium) wire wraps. Time to practice wrapping again, as that’s the last time I did wraps. It’s not perfect, but I loved the result. I’m crazy about circled and ringed pearls, as you can see.

Attachments

• photo69614.jpg
    photo69614.jpg
    172.2 KB · Views: 63
  • photo69615.jpg
    photo69615.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
Very nice tin-cup bracelet...I love silver, and when alloyed with germanium or rhodium I love it even more. Those clasps are solida and easy to snap on and off...great choice :biggthumpup:

I will enjoy seeing photos of your jewelry making process :D

I didn’t think of my Tahitian bracelet as a tin cup—I connected the wraps with jump rings! I’m allergic to nickel, so Argentium is a great choice for me, because I can be sure there’s no nickel in the silver. Also Argentiuim is very pretty! I’ll be ordering some sample chain when the pearls arrive. I’ll update here. Thank all of you for your kind and helpful interest! :)

If you order your wire and findings from europe they have to be nicklel free. I am allergi to nickel as well, but haven't had any problem in years. I don't know any european suppliers except for Wendy at Pearlescence and some swedish findingsstores. You could ask Wendy if she knows of any suppliers in case she doesn't have the findings you want at home.

I didn’t think of my Tahitian bracelet as a tin cup—I connected the wraps with jump rings! I’m allergic to nickel, so Argentium is a great choice for me, because I can be sure there’s no nickel in the silver. Also Argentiuim is very pretty! I’ll be ordering some sample chain when the pearls arrive. I’ll update here. Thank all of you for your kind and helpful interest! :)
If you buy precious metals made for the EU you won't have a problem. Nickel is banned

Thankfully, Rio Grande and Stuller are careful about specifying that items meet EU standards.

I agree with Ocean's Cove, chain 1.75 mm and up will have links in a workable size.

I make quite a few tin cup bracelets, and this guide helps me. Mark off 7 1/2 inches on a straight beadboard with blue masking tape. Then I mark the center point on another piece of tape. ( Seven and a half is a good average length for 9-10 mm pearls, and of course, you may already have a bracelet the perfect length.) Next I lay out a clasp piece on each end; then figure out how many pearls to use and space them out as evenly as possible. Now you can tell quite accurately how much chain you will need between each pearl. Allow for the size loop and wire wrap you make. (Mine are quite small.) When you add the clasp length and the length of the pearls (lined up together), you may only need 4-5 inches of chain. I always seem to use more wire than I expect, though. I'm not sure this is helpful at all, but there it is. Karat gold is so darn expensive these days. Looking forward to seeing another beautiful bracelet soon!

​​​​​​Easy to use for knotted bracelets. That's pearl dust on the board and a custom bracelet!

Attachments

• photo69642.jpg
    photo69642.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
I appreciate all of your kind and helpful responses! Pattye, the level of detail in your post is incredibly useful. I have a bead board, masking tape, and the rest of the supplies you mention. The pearls have shipped, and are supposed to arrive this weekend. (Paws and fingers crossed.) When I see their overtones then I’ll know what chain and wire I want to try out. I will keep you posted. Next thing, I hope, will be photos of the pearls. I’m excited, and it’s even more fun to be sharing the project with you all.

I also appreciate the comments of our EU members about nickel-free jewelry findings. I wish the US would catch up in this area. Thank goodness for Rio Grande, and I also have another very reliable vendor of non-allergenic wire findings, CreatingUnkamen on Etsy. I love her niobium findings and wire, and her titanium ear wires. (She anodizes them to add color, and they are gorgeous.)

The pearls arrived yesterday. I’m very happy with them! The description and photos were completely accurate (A to AA, some blemishes). For the price I think I could not do better. I only ordered 9 because I wanted to see how I felt about quality and shipping. I’m satisfied! You can ask them to do matching, but I decided to let serendipity be in charge. To my eye, 5 of them are on the cooler, bluer side, and 4 are more creamy/neutral. That is perfect, as I want to make my tin cup with 5 pearls. I love both silvery and creamy pearls. Here are some very quick, non-glamorous shots in natural, morning, indirect light. This is a fun journey, and more fun being shared by you all! Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• 3F297598-3D85-4F22-A7F5-0B90625076BC.jpeg
    3F297598-3D85-4F22-A7F5-0B90625076BC.jpeg
    314.7 KB · Views: 64
  • C51254E5-BDEF-4348-A1A9-02A13600F135.jpeg
    C51254E5-BDEF-4348-A1A9-02A13600F135.jpeg
    362.8 KB · Views: 61
  • E0822011-6C64-4FC4-8912-BFA0B90D77AE.jpeg
    E0822011-6C64-4FC4-8912-BFA0B90D77AE.jpeg
    270.2 KB · Views: 63
  • BAE8C99A-78C5-42E0-A7B3-48C1B503AD0F.jpeg
    BAE8C99A-78C5-42E0-A7B3-48C1B503AD0F.jpeg
    268.7 KB · Views: 66
In the next photos I’ll try to pick up the orient in a couple of them. Oh, la la. Very excited!

Attachments

• 320EFE28-81E0-4701-B452-4F28A4ECC027.jpeg
    320EFE28-81E0-4701-B452-4F28A4ECC027.jpeg
    361.1 KB · Views: 56
Back