I need help with GIMP!

I agree, not all rings are made equal. You have to find a good supplier. They don't list their gauges. Do you know why? I'm glad these work for you.

Snapeez come in SS, GF, and now in super-plated varieties. I do believe they have been specially hardened. I use all kinds of jump rings, but I have never had Snapeez open rings fail in SS or GF. And Pam and Ira, the owners, are the nicest people. It's kind of a boutique business. I buy their fancy Murano beads as focal beads for necklaces. Of course, I buy them in person, which makes a difference. ;)

So you don't work harden them. How easy or hard are they to close compared to SS? Is the MM size exterior or interior? Do you keep a supply of the gauges on hand and pick and choose? You've shown us some of your brass pieces and they are lovely. I would never have considerd brass. Thanks! Another thread sucessfully hijacked!

So you don't work harden them. How easy or hard are they to close compared to SS? Is the MM size exterior or interior? Do you keep a supply of the gauges on hand and pick and choose? You've shown us some of your brass pieces and they are lovely. I would never have considerd brass. Thanks! Another thread sucessfully hijacked!

No hijack because I'm also talking about gimp...
If the pearls aren't heavy, I put the clasp right on with the gimp at each end. If there is some kind of problem, or I have to replace the clasp, I use jump rings. To be sure they stay shut, I use thick jump rings.

The Via Murano Snapeez I have in SS and GF are all thick in relation to their size and are nice and stiff. Even when metal prices were lower, they were a bit expensive, but I find them very useful and they have a finished look that isn't quite the same as other rings. I'm sure they are really expensive now. The Ultraplate was created to make a more affordable line, but I haven't used them.

If I'm not using gimp, I use clam shell findings to enclose the knot and use a jump ring to join it to the clasp. If I'm worried about weight, I'll use two jump rings together, which looks nicer than it sounds.

No time now to measure jumprings, but maybe this weekend. ;)

Hi all,

I also use the SS snapeeze and even if the movement to close them is the same as with other jump rings, the Snapeez closes more tightly and as Claire says, they have a very nice "finished" look.

If I'm worried about weight, I'll use two jump rings together, which looks nicer than it sounds.

I love the look of two jump rings. I almost always do that regardless. Looks very expensive. Not with gimp, though, one on the gimp side and two to attach the clasp.

I doubt I'll ever use them extensively, but I will definitely pick up a few snapeez jumps because the machining is really impressive. Tiny... spring... must... dissect. :)

I've used ellipse-shaped jump rings a few times and like the way they follow the shape of fish hooks. The cut is on the side and at a 45 degree angle to the wire, so they look finished when closed and are unlikely to be taking stress right at the cut from the the gimp or clasp. The angled edge is also handy if one needs to slip them into a gimp loop after it's knotted, though the sharpness could raise the risk of damaging the gimp and underlying filament.

As Caitlin mentioned in another thread, this is a great conversation. I've been making piles of stretchy bracelets, so this has presented a great opportunity to consider at a bit of distance the things I did in my first 6 months of stringing, using gimp, finding... findings. I appreciate it!

I love the look of two jump rings. I almost always do that regardless. Looks very expensive. Not with gimp, though, one on the gimp side and two to attach the clasp.

I agree. When I'm doing the cone thing on torsades that need to stay twisted, the double jumpring not only looks good, but takes up the slack so there is less movement. ;)

For precious metal, precision cut, rings in stock and custom sizes try urbanmaille.com. Once you see the site, you'll know this isn't a business for Aislyn and Gary, it's beyond that. It's their love and passion. Aislyn also writes design instructions which are detailed and easy to follow. The techniques she creates and teaches are transferrable to all areas of jewelry-making, so you more than get your money's worth with her design kits. For instance, the double spiral weave will hold the twist in a torsade stationary.

What is a gimp? I've only heard of the one they bring out in Pulp Fiction and the open source software similar to photoshop.

Pulp Fiction! My fav! So many levels and so intriguing each time. Just genius! No, this isn't the same gimp. That one is very scary and it isn't that derogatory term for someone with difficulty walking. Gimp is also called french wire and bullion. It's that little springy coil which protects the silk as it wraps around the jump ring of the clasp. What do you think is in the suitcase?

Everyone knows what's in the briefcase, it's just that no one agrees on its content.

Back