My pearl is (gasp!) too big!?

gravityalwayswins

My first piece-o-fun from the beading lots is shown here. I took the two biggest white rounds and made fabulous monster ear threads with them. The big one is 12.3mm and the smaller 11.5mm. My husband thought it was a close enough match in size for earrings since they're not next to each other. I'm an amateur so I agreed.

Well... not so! Apparently somewhere between 11.5 and 12.3, the pearl becomes so big that as you walk around, it pulls the ear thread down. So I spent all day pulling it back up! Yikes!

I've also attached a pic of random things. There are some leftover cranberries from TPO in the pic for Callire who was wondering about them, my 7-8mm exotics from Jeremy are in there, an exotic lookalike bracelet I'm creating, the big beading baroques (the big ones I strung on a wonderful aqua-colored silk but I'm redoing those), some leftover Freshadamas and gem quality from recent Pearl Paradise purchases. I don't have the imagination you all do but I'll eventually get there!

Attachments

• IMG_2494.jpg
    IMG_2494.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_2484.JPG
    IMG_2484.JPG
    95.2 KB · Views: 36
That's how we all are learning--put it together--take it apart and redo! :D Maybe put a little smaller pearls on the threaders. I haven't tried threaders myself. But have created a similar look with leverbacks, a long fine chain attached and pearls on the bottom. One gets the same swingy delicate effect. Beautiful pearls really don't need much in the way of enhancement, IMO--

"My pearl is (gasp!) too big!?"

Unpossible!!1

Your 'pearl in waiting' are beautiful. I know what you mean about not having an idea yet. I also have a quite a few (ok more than a few) that I haven't decided what they shall become.

Gravity Always Wins: Your screen name says it all............

Last edited:
Thank you for the warning - I had found some findings for just such earrings so now I know not to make them with very big pearls!

Marcus - too true, too true. That made my day. I'm embarrassed to admit I hadn't made that connection. :p Thanks!

We have a local Iridesse, which is the pearl store run by Tiffany's. Their web site is a fantastic place to look for ideas for people like me who are still learning to stretch their imaginations!

Pretty pearls in that tray, and we've missed you g.a.w. - you've been away for a while, haven't you?

I really admire peeps who manage to keep their bead board so clean!

Mine is covered with fluff from cutting strands apart! :rolleyes:

DK :)

Hello gravityalwayswins,

I thought of a way to fix the problem - don't know if it will work.

You know how when we buy earrings with a hook from the departmental stores (not the studs but the ones with a hook which goes into the hole in the earlobe - mostly for earrings that dangle), they always (mostly) come with a little plastic cylindrical thing at the back of the earring to keep it in place.

I am guessing once you put the threader through the earlobe you can put the plastic cylindrical piece from the back and put it at the exact length you want. Might have to make the hole in the plastic thing a little big to accommodate the thread.

Just a thought.
ShashiRatna

That seems to be a very good solution. I think your collection is great and it will be fun to construct with them.

Nerida, I have been away a while! Some family drama around Christmas kept me busy, but moreso I was saving all my allotted jewelry time, energy, and funds for the necklace in the pics. It sidetracked me from the pearl world for maybe 5 months - but a very worth sidetrack! I made some great earrings with some of those bead board pearlies but will have to wait to photo them til later this week.

ShashiRatna - Thanks for the good idea! Turns out a good friend had a same-quality 11.5-ish from her bag of 6.0-10.0mm's. I traded her for mine and redid the one ear thread. If that doesn't work I'm going for your solution!

DK - the bead board is only about 2 weeks old, so I don't deserve credit for cleanliness! Until 2 weeks ago I was using a cutting board with the juice well around the outside. Kinda worked - but lots of rolling around!

-Carol

Attachments

• Sapp3.jpg
    Sapp3.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 40
  • Sapp1.jpg
    Sapp1.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 41
Yes, sapphires (~28cts) & diamonds (~3cts). It was my birthday, anniversary, and XMas gifts for something like the next 5 years (now you know why I frequently mention the amazing hubbie). I visited it at our jeweler for months before I broke down. I probably have "NO WILLPOWER" tattooed on my forehead. Thank goodness for my ability to *usually* stay on budget!

That necklace is gorgeous! I can see why you'd be distracted from pearls ;)

Back