Top Ten Boo-Boos LBers (and knotters) make.

Sheryl,
these are the sorts of mistakes that everyone makes. So long as you learn from them and change your systems then it is all a learning curve
And however much of anything you order you will always be drafting your next order before the parcel is unpacked and items are stashed.
I am now painstaking about giving every unique item a unique stock number so I can identify it - there are just under 1,000 different items on the website = with many more waiting to be uploaded. it is scary how it grows.

Your website is amazing. I've wondered how you manage. Do you do it all by yourself? Organization is not my strong suit, although in my own way, I am incredibly organized, as long as I am there. I dread thinking of anyone else dealing with any of my areas at home or work. My husband says I should hire someone to come and get the business end organized, and I need to put that on my list. If I can find it! lol. Thanks for the kind words. I must slog on.

Mostly I have learned the hard way - by selling something already sold, for example. very embarrassing. You have to be fanatically well organised I think when running a business.
Probably the best advice is when you mess up to admit it and be fulsome and generous in putting it right.

I find myself getting nothing done these days because I get distracted by everything being out, and I also have too many things and projects.

Eeeaye,
Sheryl, you got that right.
Same here - I get halfway through a project and then put it down because, looking at the loose pearls lying on the desk (and everywhere else in the room) I suddenly have an idea for another.
Supposed to be knotting today, and, instead, I knot a few beads and then start playing around with ideas again.
However, I'm taking a leaf out of your book and tomorrow will put everything away again until I've finished all the half completed stuff.
Yes, I will, I definitely will, I absolutely will, I promise....:D

mistakes

mistakes

I should always pass the thread through the first 3 and last 3 pearls to be sure the drill holes are large enough prior to knotting, and ream as necessary. I know better now.

The 2nd necklace I tried to knot from the beader special was a 48" potpourri strand. The necklace was almost completed. I got to the last 3 pearls. After the gimp and clasp, I could not pull the needle through the first pearl by the clasp. I forced it and broke the needle. I was determined not to cut my work apart after 48 inches. I twisted the 2 broken parts of the needle together. Dumb choice. It did not create a smooth needle and I kept pricking the silk inside the pearl. Finally, I threw away the needle and threaded each strand through the pearls individually. I threaded one strand through a new needle and passed through the 1st pearl. Then I took the needle out of that strand, threaded the 2nd strand again and passed through the pearl. Tied the knot. Repeated the steps for the 2nd and 3rd pearls. All this struggling lasted about 45 minutes to 1 hour. :mad: But I was glad I did not have to restring the whole necklace again.

Another mistake is not covering the pearl when using thread zapper to melt the thread. The zapper tool was creating smoke and made a light gray line on one of my pearls. LOL. Most of it was wiped off. I am not sure how the nacre was affected in the long run, but cosmetically it looked almost like prior to my zapping.

Your one thread at a time is a good idea if you get stuck.

For the past couple of months, I have been using a silver bead and one or two spacers to tie the knots. I like to put two knots in because if one comes undone, then there will be another knot, then I pass the thread thru the third bead and cut it off or knot it again.

Three silver beads is the lazy way to do it and I am all for that! But my guiding philosophy is to make a necklace or bracelet with thread that won't stretch or break and will last as long as the pearls.

I should always pass the thread through the first 3 and last 3 pearls to be sure the drill holes are large enough prior to knotting, and ream as necessary. I know better now.

It happened to me recently too, and took me over 2h to make the holes bigger for the first and last 2 pearls. I have tested them with a needle and double thread to make sure they are big enough.

Just need to remember to make the holes on the diamond rondelles little be bigger so that they can pass over the knots.

I shall resume my efforts once my hands have recovered! :rolleyes:

DK :)

Just need to remember to make the holes on the diamond rondelles little be bigger so that they can pass over the knots.
:)

Dk,
Do you mean rondelles set with diamonds, or diamond beads ?
If the latter, forget about reaming - and if you make the holes bigger, do, please, tell me how.
I have some diamond beads and the holes are too small even for 32 gauge wire.

Yes, it has to be rondelles. The diamond beads are laser cut, and I can just get a .10 beading wire through, and now have .09 for any future acquisitions. It's like stringing fleas.

Wendy and Sheryl,

Yes, I meant 14k WG rondelles with diamonds, not diamond beads. After reading your comments, I'd probably won't touch them!

DK :)

Back