Stringing Pearls

P

pearltime

Has anyone taken the peral stringing course offered by GIA? Can anyone recommend a good teacher or course?

I have not personally taken the course, but I did require it for new employees for a time. I no longer do, however, as I feel it is a bit outdated. The method taught is tedious and time consuming. If you are looking to bead and make pieces other than traditional strands it would be a good course for you. If you only intend to string classic pieces I recommend saving the money and finding a local teacher. The best method is the tweezer-free method. After enough practice you should be able to produce a perfectly knotted strand in approximately 10 minutes.
Are you near a large city? A lot of cities have a jewelry district similar to the one here in Los Angeles. There are a lot of stringers here who would be willing to teach. I paid one $200 for a full day class last year for everyone in the office that had not yet learned how.

Pearl Knotting Video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O12P1OaMCe8

Last edited:
Thank-you very much for your prompt reply. I live near Atlanta.

I agree with Jeremy. If you can find an experienced stringer in your area, ask them if they would be willing to teach you how to string. You will save money and the one-on-one guidance is also a huge plus.

Bead stringing Book

Bead stringing Book

HI Pearltime..

A friend lent me a book it appears to cater to beaders however it teached two methods of knotting between each bead.. AKA the writer used the knotting method typically used for pearls for their beading as well..

Its called Step by Step Bead Stringing by Ruth F POris, Golden hands Press 1995 It is a small soft cover book.

I hope this helps

Ashby

Thanks everyone so much. Is this what is meant by no tweezers?

First, a knotted necklace must be started just as any basic beaded necklace would be. Though there a few ways to start a beaded necklace , my usual choice is with bead tips (clamp shells). The only difference is that two strands of the cord are inserted through the bead tip instead of one.
Once the necklace is started, string on a bead, and make an over hand knot. Make the knot tight so it’s snug up against the bead.

Continue to do this: string a bead, make an over hand knot, string a bead, make an over hand knot. That’s it. Again, finish the necklace as you would any beaded necklace whether it’s knotted or not.
The reason I call this a way to cheat at knotting is because normally only one strand of cord is used. However, this technique is simply and the results provide the same results as a single strand knotted cord would provide.

http://jewelrymaking.about.com/library/weekly/aa062899.htm

Here is a link to a clear, step by step method of stringing pearls

Henrietta Virchick's small book is a classic:Pearl and Bead Stringing

She teaches a great hand knot method. She also teaches a method with an awl.

It is a good altrnative to the Ruth Poris book mentioned above. It is a little more detailed.

WARNING:
Just about all the methods with links in this thread and both the books- actually show pictures of one sliding the knot with the tweezers- don't do it-

No matter what method of knotting you learn, I do not recommend you insert awl or tweezers into the knot and slide the knot with them- it is too awful to do that on 45 pearls then have the knot slide off and tighten too far from the bead! :eek: :mad:

RECOMMENDATION:
Whether you use your fingers, an awl or tweezers I recommend one puts the fingers or tweezer through the large loose knot and grab the string right next to the bead and fip it through the hole. Then, keeping your thumb on the bead,start tightening the knot down to the bead. It will go to the correct spot every time. :D

Last edited:
here is how I do it

here is how I do it

All the descibed ways to knot a pearl necklace seem awfully complicated to me. So here is how I do it.

First the stringing: I get the pearls delivered to me on a temporary double line of threath with a knot on both ends. On one end I pull hard on one of them, so it breaks near the knot. The other one I split and cut all parts exept for one.

Then I take a threath, about 3 x the length of my necklace.
I double it, so I have a loop on one end.
The very thin threath on my temporarely string I attach to my new threath, on the loopside.
So I can SLIDE the pearls from one threath to the other. Saves you a lot of stringingtime like this.

So with all my pearls on my new threath, I attach a clasp on one side.,the side I start knotting.
I make handover knots, don't use a tweezer but a strong nail, that I put in the knots to slide It against the pearl, and leave it there until my next pearl is snug against the former one and keeps the knot in place. Then I remove the nail, make my next knot etc. etc.

Quite difficult to describe, doing it goes faster. It takes me about 15 min. to knot an average necklace.
Hope it's of any help to you, if it's not clear, just ask.
Marjan

As far a one stringing all method. I Would sugggest trying different methods and figuring out what one workd best for you. you have been given some good resources by several perople her.. all are good and I honestly feel its personal preferanc as to what works for you....

Good Luck!

Ashby

Ashby is right! Trying several methods will allow you to find what you are best at. Everyone is different! Once you get it down, you'll be able to perfect your technique and string quickly. Good luck!

Hi Marjan
I tried to use your stringing method but could not understand attaching the new thread with temporary thread.

Could you please explain about it ?

Thanks
Himal

when you buy a strand of pearls they are usually strung on a double temporary threat, knots on both ends to prevent the pearls from sliding of.

On one side, remove one of the threats and split the remaining one into as many parts as you can, cut all exept one.

Then you take the new threat, fold it so that you have a loop on one end.

If you now attach the tiny threat of the temporarely strand to the permanent one, the knot that you attach it with, is so small that yuor pearls can slide over it to your new threat.

Especially with very small pearls or beads, it saves you a lot of stringing work.
Hope it's clear now.
Marjan

knotting pearls

knotting pearls

me personaly never used any tools to knot my pearls i use just my fingers and i have consistant knots that are snug agaist the pearls but not so snug the necklace is stiff mine are very fluid in movement.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks to those of you who shared your stringing techniques. I hope the rest of you will share yours too!

There is a mystique about not sharing knotting techniques, as though it were a closely guarded secret. It is no secret. You do an overhand knot or a double overhand knot- the one knot you already know how to do, for sure. http://www.realknots.com/knots/stoppers.htm

I notice in my first post above, I just mentioned a warning about moving a knot with tweezers or an awl, as many book sources teach to do. I did not share how I string and knot, and no one else has mentioned my method, so here goes.

I use several ways to begin and end the strand, so I decided not to deal with that in this post. Let?s assume I have half the clasp and, 3 pearls strung (with a different technique of knots to end the thread) in place when I begin.

• My best trick: I like to use a double thread. I buy spools of silk thread, typically size E, and packs of slim twisted needles because they have a large eye to thread. I double the thread and stroke once or twice, lightly with beeswax to reduce tangling. Then I do the first side of the clasp and conceal the left over thread.

• I string on all the beads, leaving a foot or two at the end before the fastener. I begin by sliding the first bead away from the rest down to my clasp and lead pearls. When it is in place, I do an overhand knot, and pull it loosely against the pearl. I separate the two threads and pull them apart, snuggling the knot into place. This method virtually always leaves the knot right where it should be. (I pass all the strung pearls through the knot when it is large, but if you choose to pass the clasp end through instead, it is ok. Just don?t switch directions part way through!)

This method is better than using the silk on the card for two good reasons: it gives better results and costs less. The thread on the cards can?t be separated into 2 threads, which is the best trick I have found yet to get the knot perfectly snuggled. Also the cards cost a couple bucks each and you can?t even get two necklaces out of one card. (Don?t even try! It is awful to think you can do it, start, only to find it isn?t enough thread when you are almost done.) The spooled silk thread cost about 6-12 bucks for thousands of feet and packs of 25, 50, even 100, needles are cheap too. I still have the original chunk of beeswax I began with maybe 30 years ago. You can buy a lot of clasps with the money you save using spool thread over thread on a card!

Caitlyn,

May I ask what suppliers you use for your spools of silk??? I have been looking for suppliers in addition to Fire Mountain Gems that I can use.

Thanks,

Fellow Beader
Ash

Hey Ash
There are so many good suppliers. The spool I am working on now came from an online store, maybe Artbeads? I like them cause they don't charge postage and the stuff is in your mailbox the next day almost. The brand name is "Gudebrod Inc Champion Silk" Try Googling it. I'll Google it later when I am done with my email, if you are too busy!;)

Thansk Caitlyn,

I will look into all these companies..... I am looking for several spools for some very lengthy Beading projects I have coming up over the next year or so.........

Thanks again Ladies

Ash

Last edited by a moderator:
Great Information Source for Novices!

Great Information Source for Novices!

Hi, Everyone,
PBS has been running an interesting series called Beads, Baubles and Jewels. They have a theme for each program and show interesting designs and how to make them. Pretty interesting stuff, at least for novices such as us. This may be a summer re-broadcast on our local station in Houston, but it may also be broadcast around the country. The videos for each program are expensive, about $20 including shipping. More info at www.pbs.org.

Larry Railey

Back