What to use for tiny keshi?

KarinK

Years ago I made a three stranded bracelet with akoya keshi and morganites. And I never used it, in part because I strung it on silk but it is thin and dainty that I am afraid to break it. I was thinking about making it into a choker length necklace for layering but I am not sure what to use.

attachment.php

- Karin

Years ago I made a three stranded bracelet with akoya keshi and morganites. And I never used it, in part because I strung it on silk but it is thin and dainty that I am afraid to break it. I was thinking about making it into a choker length necklace for layering but I am not sure what to use.

attachment.php

- Karin

I'd use Dandyline thread. It's fine but very strong. It's difficult to cut it with a pair of scissors. I string my white and dark colored pearls with Dandyline. It's only available in white and black by the way.

It's beautiful KarinK! Please update us on your progress :D

For very small pearls I use 10# test PowerPro or the Fine thickness of Serafil that I bought from Pattye. Both are stronger than fine silk. The PowerPro is the strongest-- 10# test means it takes 10 lb. of force to break it, or 20 lb. if it's doubled.

Pareltje and Pearl Dreams - do you use the thread to string like any other pearl necklace? Considering soft wire too. I have one on wire with tiny garnets that works well. I just never used wire before to not sure how to go about that. So I may stick to one of your suggestions. On the bracelet I didn't double back, just tied knots, adding glue and a clamp thingy.

Pareltje and Pearl Dreams - do you use the thread to string like any other pearl necklace? Considering soft wire too. I have one on wire with tiny garnets that works well. I just never used wire before to not sure how to go about that. So I may stick to one of your suggestions. On the bracelet I didn't double back, just tied knots, adding glue and a clamp thingy.

Yes, I use the thread to string like any other pearl necklace. If you think about using wire, you might want to try or experiment with Fireline or Spiderwire thread. They're available from beading shops.

Yes, just like other pearl necklaces, and if you prefer you can knot only near the end pearls. Given that these are pearls, I'd do that in preference to wire. Wire can erode the hole edges over time.

There are fine nylon-coated beading wires-- the thinnest I've used (for gemstone beads) is Soft Touch (0.25mm / 0.01 inch). One uses crimp beads to finish it. the wire is passed through the clasp and back through the crimp, which is then tightened or flattened, depending on what kind of crimp it is.

Thank you, Pareltje and Pearl Dreams!

I'll check what special thread I already have and otherwise get shopping.

Focussing solely on breaking strength in the context of stringing these beautiful keshi’s is overkill. And in my view it’s not necessary to leap towards what I would characterise as engineered ‘lines’, they can have a place elsewhere in threading such as when the design has numerous crystal beads, or stones known to be abrasive or sharp edged.

Choose a good quality beading thread, which is sized appropriately for the holes, and with good technique in the stringing, you will have a lovely Keshi strand that is comfortable to wear, that drapes well, and moves naturally in wear.

The following picture is Akoya Keshi strung on
Beaders Secret thread, which I have worn on a constant basis for a considerable number of years. ( one of my favourite necklaces).

9060F1E9-0610-4635-8289-8D22A8C42595.jpg

Thank you, Bernadette.

I'll try to find out what size I can use.

Hi Karin, The #40 Serafil thread from Pattye should work well with these lovely pearls! If a fine beading needle it too large for the drill holes, a home made one from fine copper wire filament should work.

Thank you, Marianne. I'll get some needles too. Almost out, anyway.

I'll cut it apart this afternoon and take a closer look at the size of the holes. Can't believe someone actually drilled them...

I believe one choice is in the US and the other in Australia.

Being in Europe, I'll get fleeced either way in customs and fees if something costs more than $12 so first I'll look at what I already have in store. Just needed to get clear about using wire or not and it's 'not' :)

Last edited:
I believe one choice is in the US and the other in Australia.

Being in Europe, I'll get fleeced either way in customs and fees if something costs more than $12 so first I'll look at what I already have in store. Just needed to get clear about using wire or not and it's 'not' :)

I'm also in Europe, we're on the same boat. I used to buy my Beaders Secret from Wendy Pearlescence and I buy Dandyline from https://www.i-beads.eu/
When I buy anything from the US I have to pay 21% of the item's total value plus some administrative cost. I can't get my order delivered until I have paid all the import duties.
Sometimes the import duties plus the administrative cost exceed the total price of my order.
It's complicated....

Last edited:
The EU is changing the rules from this summer - which will be a great help for smaller purchases. Instead of a lower limit and then, BAM, fees on top of the VAT, every purchase from outside the EU will be charged VAT but without any fee. Just the VAT. I don't know if that includes shipping. Hadn't thought about that. It might.

"You might ask Wendy at Pearlescence if she has some she could sell you."
Unfortunately Brexit now being in effect, puts purchases from the UK in the same booth as anywhere else outside of the EU. Only difference might be shipping costs but that seems to be expensive everywhere.

KarinK, Wendy doesn't charge shipping fees. I did have to pay for taxes on my last order, but I always think that if I bought pearls i sweden I would still pay more. Not that I can buy pearls in sweden, not any good at least.

Back