Help with an intricate pearl “bib”?

Camhatch

Does anyone have any tips on where to start with this one? I have done 2 and 3 layer pearl strands when they go all the way around, but nothing with so many layers and graduated. It is a type of stringing I would love to perfect, and now I have a customer who has given me the opportunity to play.
Is each loop strung individually or start from the bottom and work my way up?
Any advice would be amazing! Thank you in advance!
5FCC1010-5FB3-4204-868D-9E177EBDA41B.jpg

This is really pretty, Camhatch. This type of bead woven netting requires multiple passes through some of the beads. This can be difficult with pearls as their drill holes may not be large enough. You would need to try the required number of passes on the pearls as you lay out the pattern. This necklace begins with the top foundation chain (where the clasp is attached) and works on down.

Wow. This would be quite an undertaking!

Thanks for your tips Marianne! I haven’t even seen the piece in person yet, just got sent the photo yesterday. Will try and get hold of it to gauge how big the holes are etc.

I know Douglas! Even my husband says not to take this one on :D

As a vision check - does everyone else see 2 or possibly 3 shades of pearls in the design?
I think I see creamy white, pale blu-ish white and silver?

Or perhaps you’re going to repair it, not replicate the whole piece?

I’m in awe.

Last edited:
Hi Camhatch, If you are new to off loom bead weaving, you might find the book Creative Bead Weaving by Carol Wilcox Wells helpful. She has very complete, well illustrated and easy to follow directions on multiple types of bead weaving including the netting technique used in your photo.

I am thinking the biggest challenge will be to make all the sizes match to a flat and even design. Just doing a necklace with 2 strands can be a challenge to get just right in terms of nesting. This has to be perfect in terms of 'nesting' as well as perfectly symmetrical.

- Karin

I am thinking the biggest challenge will be to make all the sizes match to a flat and even design. Just doing a necklace with 2 strands can be a challenge to get just right in terms of nesting. This has to be perfect in terms of 'nesting' as well as perfectly symmetrical.

- Karin

Hi lisaC...yes I’m repairing it, not replicating! But great eyes seeing the colour differences!

Thank you for the book reference Marianne...have already come up with some great Pinterest references for her!

And Karin, I know what you mean! A triple strand, graduated pearl piece was a challenge, this one is next level!

I’ll be getting the piece on the weekend so no doubt will have more questions then.

This is very cool! I wonder if the owner has the missing pearls, and if you’re going to put on a different clasp. I saw one spot on the upper right where a bigger pearl might be separated or maybe it’s just the light. Thank you for posting this thread!
5C604C20-C762-41E5-B948-E7CB7D189E9C.jpeg

Last edited:
If those pearl colors really are different, and it’s not my eyeballs or brain...well, the subtlety! Awestruck.
ok, I think you said you see it too. Seriously, I want to do the respect gesture and touch the artist’s feet. Maybe getting too emotional, but the older I get, the more wondrous the World looks.

Last edited:
So it turns out the pearls are faux, but that’s not an entirely bad thing as the holes are nice and big for multiple passes through! My customer is still determined to get it repaired so here I go!
FD769966-DCAD-46B1-AFAD-AB5B556CCAF8.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Bernadette....restringing the whole piece. I have never considered just repairing one section of a necklace, just figured if there’s one break in a thread it won’t be long until there’s another.

Thanks Pattye! Tracking the hours but also taking the time to teach myself layouts and thread placement!

Camille

Best of luck! Glad you have decent sized holes to work with!

Did she have the missing little beads? Are there 3 colors? Good luck, thank you for updating us.

Back